Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

5 hours ago, redruby said:

I am saying it is just of many issues that lead working class people feeling abandoned.  Of course people don’t riot over the council failing to repair council houses alone.

The fact is that if you are a white, working class person living in a council house that is falling apart and dangerous the national media is not interested.  You might get your story into the local news but even then many will be unsympathetic and suspicious (see the thread on Living in Squalor in Parson Cross).  Another issue is the removal of winter fuel payments for all but the very poorest pensioners.  Lots of pensioners that are just above the threshold for these will struggle to keep their homes warm in winter.  They just have to put up and shut up.  Meanwhile if asylum seekers are put in low quality accommodation it makes headline news and there are no shortage of middle class do gooders protesting on their behalf. 

The are also the issues of long waiting lists for hospital appointments, difficulty seeing in GP, the cost of living crisis, overcrowded schools etc etc.  To be clear, this isn’t an excuse for thuggery, but it’s to explain how we got here and why many working class, white people are not happy.  This will continue to simmer and explode again while ever the current narrative on the situation continues.  Ignoring and denying problems doesn’t make them go away and the unrest we are seeing did not come from nowhere.  Far right thugs exploit it when the government fails to deal with these issues.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/aug/08/labour-riots-violence-economic-social-factors

Larry Elliot, the Guardians economic editor appear to be saying the same,, with caveats

Edited by gamezone07

Willing to get flamed down here but to play devils advocate

Mass disruption to businesses

Forced the police to deploy extra forces

Clogged up the streets of cities with do-gooders

All while the people who "may" have been protesting (again, this was all based on "information from social media") were sat at home having a pint of tetleys and watching re-runs of alf Garnett and didn't even need to do anything in order to generate mayhem and hysteria

14 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Please keep to the topic. Feel free to post about SCC repairs in the relevant thread, but let’s keep this one on track. 👍

I feel Elon Musk (and ‘X’ in general) is creating a solid argument for regulation of social media and websites.

Which is sad because it will lead to stronger regulation in other countries once the cork is out of the bottle and ultimately affect more casual sites like this one. ☹️

If you monitor a number of the sites which seem to promote the protests/now riots, housing and what they perceive as unfairness seem very prominent.

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Was there any trouble in Town yesterday  ?

what i heard and saw on facebook not where they were meant to be, an imam was live streaming to show the counter protestors which was in the region of maybe 500 - 1000?

But i did hear there may have been some bits of trouble around Barkers Pool etc? not sure on the accuracy though that was just hearsay

6 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Was there any trouble in Town yesterday  ?

Apparently a little bit in Barkers Pool as mel says, but overall it was more like a Sunday morning - VERY quiet. I was there for a couple of hours and saw nothing.

3 minutes ago, melthebell said:

what i heard and saw on facebook not where they were meant to be, an imam was live streaming to show the counter protestors which was in the region of maybe 500 - 1000?

But i did hear there may have been some bits of trouble around Barkers Pool etc? not sure on the accuracy though that was just hearsay

there was the video going around yesterday of what looked like at least 100 people  running towards Barkers pool with sticks and god knows what

but strangely that has been deleted today. If people have seen it then they probably know why

Just now, sheffbag said:

there was the video going around yesterday of what looked like at least 100 people  running towards Barkers pool with sticks and god knows what

but strangely that has been deleted today. If people have seen it then they probably know why

ah, i didnt see video of that, like i said just "heard" from a couple of sheffield friends something mightve kicked off, it was meant to be near the Childrens hospital i believe? is where the targeted lawyers are based?