Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

1 hour ago, redruby said:

And the same response again:

I am not making excuses for rioters.  I am saying that this unrest didn’t spring from nowhere.  I don’t want to repeat myself at length again so have a read of this if you want to understand more about the issues https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/aug/08/labour-riots-violence-economic-social-factors

I don't disagree with much of that analysis, however there are a small number of people who will cause dissent in their communities because there are people who have a different skin colour, and frankly there are politicians like Farage, and plutocrats like Musk, and newspaper editors who will exploit this for their own ends. 

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Fair enough. 👍

However, even democratically electected governments get things wrong or have an agenda and worse still, they can and do lie. 

What if a clampdown isn't for the good of the people but to silence dissenters so only one narrative can be heard?

Maybe this is something that should be bestowed on an agency which is at arms length from a Government, like the Information Commissioner's Office?

It's a shame that some people have used social media for their own nefarious ends, but that's the way of the world: a small minority of people ruin it for the majority who don't cause trouble.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Maybe this is something that should be bestowed on an agency which is at arms length from a Government, like the Information Commissioner's Office?

Isn't that a Government organisation?

Just now, The_DADDY said:

Then I wouldn't be overly happy for them to be involved. They can't be truly independent. 

Can someone like Musk be truly independent?

No. Since e took over the social media site he's cut back staff by 75% so there is much less moderation than there was.

Just now, Mister M said:

Can someone like Musk be truly independent?

No. Since e took over the social media site he's cut back staff by 75% so there is much less moderation than there was.

My bold

He's human so no in my opinion.

Underlined 

It could easily be argued the 75% staff cull was because they didn't need 75% of the staff. 

Just now, The_DADDY said:

My bold

He's human so no in my opinion.

Underlined 

It could easily be argued the 75% staff cull was because they didn't need 75% of the staff. 

They didn't need 75% of the staff when the site is full of misinformation, bullies, extremists etc etc Hmmm

Just now, Mister M said:

They didn't need 75% of the staff when the site is full of misinformation, bullies, extremists etc etc Hmmm

My bold

It was like that before Musk took over just slanted the other way. And before he did take over America's intelligence services had direct access, were involved in meetings, made decisions about what could be posted, what should be stiffled etc.

Surely that's a bigger worry than one 'Crazy Dude' who's rather eccentric running the show?