Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

3 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Well ,I got told , the reason for the cull , was because he didn't want any of the WOKE brigade working for him . Don't know how true that is though 

Yes I heard that too. Could be true, but then I did read it on X so it could just be Dangerous Misinformation :suspect: 😁

• Haha 1

for those whining and whinging about two tier policing

1. Adnan Ghafoor jailed for 18 months for affraypublished at 13:04

13:04BREAKING

Adnan Ghafoor, 31, of Spen Bank, Leeds is jailed for 18 months for affray.

He will also serve a consecutive period of 12 months for breach of a previous suspended sentence. It means the total sentence will be two-and-a-half years.

2. Sameer Ali jailed for 20 months for affraypublished at 13:01

13:01BREAKING

Sameer Ali, 21, of West Park Drive, Leeds, is jailed for 20 months for affray.

Judge Guy Kearl KC is outlining the demonstrations in Leeds the two men attended, saying there were anti-immigration and anti-racist demonstrations

He explains to the court how Ali and Ghafoor were captured on CCTV walking down a road after the protest and encountered four white men from the anti-immigration protest.

Judge Kearl says it's "clear" something was said between the two groups, adding one defendant has said it was "racial abuse".

The judge continues, saying there was a breakout of punches and kicks for about 30 seconds towards the other group and a "missile" was thrown towards them and a nearby bar.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/aug/09/social-media-problem-keir-starmer-elon-musk-inequality-poverty

"Social media is a problem, Keir, but so is life for too many in Britain. I’d deal with that first"

Elon Musk may be a useful villain, but that should not distract politicians from the basic facts about inequality and poverty

seems someone else at the Guardian agree with some of us on here

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/aug/09/social-media-problem-keir-starmer-elon-musk-inequality-poverty

"Social media is a problem, Keir, but so is life for too many in Britain. I’d deal with that first"

Elon Musk may be a useful villain, but that should not distract politicians from the basic facts about inequality and poverty

Underlined 

They hate him because they can't control him in my opinion. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

“How about: address ever-increasing wealth inequality? If that seems a weird answer, then maybe the wrong questions are being asked. Britain has just witnessed the worst far-right street violence since the 1970s. As the FT reports, seven out of 10 of the most deprived areas in the UK saw riots this past fortnight. Placing asylum hotels in these areas was the decision of the previous Conservative government. Who has this profited – other than the private companies that have raked in huge sums?”

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Hate to reply to a distraction, but as has been obliquely hinted - by @SheffieldForum this topic appears to have been severely 're-routed' by some.

If you talking about wealth inequality it is very much on topic. The Guardian has published several opinion pieces which discuss this issue in relation to the riots. To quote from one article:

”To imagine that economic and social factors play no part in what has happened over the past week or so is to inhabit the farthest shores of fantasy island. To borrow a phrase, the government needs to be tough on riots, tough on the causes of riots.”

• Like 1

more breaking news out today

Suspended Labour councillor charged with encouraging violent disorderpublished at 14:23

14:23BREAKING

Suspended Labour councillor Ricky Jones has been charged with encouraging violent disorder after appearing at a London counter-protest, the CPS has confirmed.

He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court this afternoon.

• Like 2