Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

3 minutes ago, Uggy said:

Originally a lib Dem in rotherham she joined the bnp because they were the only ones that would listen, not unsurprisingly perhaps. I've never been able to get my head around why it took a London newspaper the Times to break the story nationally, what did the Star and Advertiser know?

I've often wondered why it took a journalist from London coming north to expose what had been happening for decades. It was all happening right under the noses of journalists from the Star and Sheffield Telegraph so either they were all part of the conspiracy of silence or totally incompetent.

47 minutes ago, redruby said:

I have said several times that the far right don’t INVENT issues, they EXPLOIT them.  Big difference.  Denying problems is a significant factor in this.  Even you don’t like it and don’t want to hear it, there are a lot of ordinary people that feel that they are not listened to.  They have some genuine concerns.  They are not far right but if the far right are the only ones that seem to listen that is how they gain support.  That is how the far right gains strength.  Ignoring, squashing, shutting down things you don’t want to hear doesn’t make them go away for good.  It’s like painting over damp, you can keep trying hide it and make it look nice painting over again and again but you’re really making it worse by ignoring the underlying problem and a some point you won’t be able to keep painting over and hiding it and rot underneath will have got a whole lot worse.

I definitely agree with you redruby, especially about ordinary peoples concerns and all recent governments doing nothing about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Yes, and if people are sceptical because this is in GB News, I also saw this mentioned in the Guardian.  None of the riots were in well off areas and believe they were 7 or the 10 most deprived areas of England.

So poverty causes rioting because they don't know right from wrong?

I fail to follow your reasoning. I could see why the areas would have a high immigration, those are the poorest.

• Like 1

Just now, El Cid said:

May be they know I am not a supporter, I tried twice.

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

That is a surprise, I cannot read it unless I pay £5 per month, gutter press are usually free.

Here’s a different article on the subject 

https://www.thenationalnews.com/news/uk/2024/08/10/decades-of-deprivation-behind-uk-riots-an-immediate-challenge-for-starmer/