Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

8 minutes ago, pfifes said:

No Delbow.  Not educated to be an ignorant thug.  Educated to be a law abiding, respectable citizen like most of us are.  

Saracasm like that isn’t helpful.  You might be joking but it’s still divisive.  Not all immigrants are perfect just the same as British citizens.  There are good and bad in all cultures.  Stop making comments implying all British people should be ashamed of themselves!

Well, my point was to show that lazy generalisations can cut both ways. The actions of these rioters is not an indicator of how other white British people behave, in just the same way that the actions of a handful of asylum seekers are not an indicator of how other asylum seekers behave or will behave. 

The difference - and the double standard - that's evidenced in your post but much more widely as well, is that that the actions of individual white people don't lead to calls for how other white people should change their behaviour, but the actions of non-British or non-white people (including British POC) are used as reasons why other people of the same ethnic or racial group should amend their behaviour. In short, in the UK, white people are considered to act as individuals, not representatives of all white people, whereas if a person of colour does something very bad, that is seen by a sizeable chunk of the population as evidence of a more general problem with people of the same ethnicity or race, or even non-white British people in general. This is why anything very bad done by someone who isn't white British always leads to calls for a 'conversation' about multiculturalism or immigration, whereas if a white Brit does something awful, there are no calls for an equivalent 'conversation' about white British culture. Anyone who can't see that either doesn't want to, or has their head right up their arse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, peak4 said:

I would suggest the solution to the riots is to deal with the far right influencers who use the genuine concerns of the UK citizens to bolster their support, often by misrepresentation or blatant lies; I would suggest that includes a few mainstream politicians and quite a few journalists.
The previous government deliberately throttled the asylum process, in order  to introduce longer and longer waiting lists,  claiming it would act as a deterrent.
Other countries sped up the process and provided the very educational classes you (and I) would advocate.
Here's a German example.
Learning German as a refugee Stephanie Höppner 06/10/2017June 10, 2017
Asylum seekers lacking language skills have poor chances in the job market and earn less.

The German language is essential in finding an apartment, participating in society and pursuing an education.

Who is allowed and who must participate in an integration course?

That has changed considerably  over the past years: asylum seekers and those with a "tolerated right to stay" were excluded from the courses until 2015 as the condition for participation was a residence permit.

Since October 2015, asylum seekers and people who have been granted temporary stay and who have a good chance of remaining in Germany are allowed to participate in the courses. That includes people from Syria, Iraq, Eritrea, Iran and Somalia. 

If asylum has been granted, the integration courses are an obligation for refugees - provided that a German city's foreigners office has commissioned it.

The courses are offered everywhere in the country - whether it be by adult education centers, welfare associations, clubs or private institutions. 

Yes, the German model looks good.

48 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Well, my point was to show that lazy generalisations can cut both ways. The actions of these rioters is not an indicator of how other white British people behave, in just the same way that the actions of a handful of asylum seekers are not an indicator of how other asylum seekers behave or will behave. 

The difference - and the double standard - that's evidenced in your post but much more widely as well, is that that the actions of individual white people don't lead to calls for how other white people should change their behaviour, but the actions of non-British or non-white people (including British POC) are used as reasons why other people of the same ethnic or racial group should amend their behaviour. In short, in the UK, white people are considered to act as individuals, not representatives of all white people, whereas if a person of colour does something very bad, that is seen by a sizeable chunk of the population as evidence of a more general problem with people of the same ethnicity or race, or even non-white British people in general. This is why anything very bad done by someone who isn't white British always leads to calls for a 'conversation' about multiculturalism or immigration, whereas if a white Brit does something awful, there are no calls for an equivalent 'conversation' about white British culture. Anyone who can't see that either doesn't want to, or has their head right up their arse.

Yes, they flipping well do say British people need to change their behaviour!!!  That is pretty much the constant narrative in the media!!  I hope I don’t have to point out I think far right thugs do need to change but most of us don’t behave like that.  
Also, this is Britain for pity’s sake.  When you are an incomes you adapt to the customs of the land not the other way round.  If I went to live in a foreign country I would learn their language and be respectful to local customs.  Wouldn’t you?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Yes, they flipping well do say British people need to change their behaviour!!!  That is pretty much the constant narrative in the media!!  I hope I don’t have to point out I think far right thugs do need to change but most of us don’t behave like that.  
Also, this is Britain for pity’s sake.  When you are an incomes you adapt to the customs of the land not the other way round.  If I went to live in a foreign country I would learn their language and be respectful to local customs.  Wouldn’t you?

And obey their laws, not expect them to change them to suit me.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Can you give me an example of the media telling  people they need to change their behaviour on the basis that they're white?