Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

Just now, Delbow said:

Yeah you've missed my point, which happens in online discussions. I obviously didn't mean that those behaviours are typical of white British people - I made that post because sometimes if you say something that offends people, you can use it to help them see why some of the things they say are also offensive to others. People don't often listen if you just tell them that something is wrong or offensive, so you have to find a different way to get a point across. Maybe it didn't work in this instance, but that was what I was trying to do.

Well if that was indeed the case you should have made that clear before.  But you didn’t did you until I raised this in a few replies.

If I made an equivalent remark about an ethnic minority would you be sceptical if I replied saying I ‘obviously didn’t mean it’ and was using it to try and get a point across.  It wouldn’t wash at all would it?

I do understand what you are trying to do, and I think you mean well.  But you are going the wrong way about it.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Well if that was indeed the case you should have made that clear before.  But you didn’t did you until I raised this in a few replies.

If I made an equivalent remark about an ethnic minority would you be sceptical if I replied saying I ‘obviously didn’t mean it’ and was using it to try and get a point across.  It wouldn’t wash at all would it?

I do understand what you are trying to do, and I think you mean well.  But you are going the wrong way about it.  

:thumbsup:

29 minutes ago, pfifes said:

These are fair comments 👍

• Thanks 1

Pfifes stated something interesting 

As I said before if I went to live in foreign country, I would learn the language and educate myself on their laws and customs.  Wouldn’t you ? " 

I agree with this . I have always been fascinated with different cultures . But when people move to this country , I think they should be encouraged to learn about our Culture & ways , but I think this doesn't happen . This ,I think can lead to unrest , tension ,or worse , as the Far Right have shown . But , there are always people infiltrating groups like this , hell bent on just causing trouble . This is only my opinion , but these people ,don't really support what the reason behind the demonstration is about . I think though , that people coming to this country should attempt to integrate & try and embrace our culture etc . 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Pfifes stated something interesting 

As I said before if I went to live in foreign country, I would learn the language and educate myself on their laws and customs.  Wouldn’t you ? " 

I agree with this . I have always been fascinated with different cultures . But when people move to this country , I think they should be encouraged to learn about our Culture & ways , but I think this doesn't happen . This ,I think can lead to unrest , tension ,or worse , as the Far Right have shown . But , there are always people infiltrating groups like this , hell bent on just causing trouble . This is only my opinion , but these people ,don't really support what the reason behind the demonstration is about . I think though , that people coming to this country should attempt to integrate & try and embrace our culture etc . 

The English are globally renowned for being unable to learn languages and educate themselves in the laws and customs of the countries they live in.

In fact they find it very difficult to do so in Europe, let alone in Wales, Scotland and Ireland- even in England the ability to integrate the populations  of Newcastle, Eastbourne, Arbourthorne, Fulwood etc. would be problematic.

The Far Right have shown nothing except their ability to promote and engage in violence, looting, terrorism, theft, vandalism assaults and terrorist acts against people and property. 

Just another attempt at excusing extremism.

What the Far-Right would do next would not stop, as has been seen in many countries in Europe and around the world in our lifetime.  

First they came for the (-------)
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a (-------)

Then they came for the (-------)
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a (-------)

And I did not speak out

And I did not speak out

Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me

With apologies to Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller, who did NOT stand up to the Far Right until it was too late.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The English are globally renowned for being unable to learn languages and educate themselves in the laws and customs of the countries they live in.

In fact they find it very difficult to do so in Europe, let alone in Wales, Scotland and Ireland- even in England the ability to integrate the populations  of Newcastle, Eastbourne, Arbourthorne, Fulwood etc. would be problematic.

The Far Right have shown nothing except their ability to promote and engage in violence, looting, terrorism, theft, vandalism assaults and terrorist acts against people and property. 

Just another attempt at excusing extremism.

What the Far-Right would do next would not stop, as has been seen in many countries in Europe and around the world in our lifetime.  

First they came for the (-------)
And I did not speak out
Because I was not a (-------)

And I did not speak out

And I did not speak out

And I did not speak out

Then they came for me
And there was no one left
To speak out for me

With apologies to Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller, who did NOT stand up to the Far Right until it was too late.

I am not talking about the English ( but I do agree , we are renowned for being complacent in that area ) , I am talking about others coming here 

There is a reason the English are complacent about learning foreign languages.  It is because English is a lingua franca.  It is not an inherent characteristic of being English 😂.  The same would be true of say the Dutch or Swedes if their languages were widely spoken around the world.  
And before someone jumps on me in true SF fashion I do think as a nation we should promote the learning of foreign languages.  Apparently degree level study of foreign languages has dropped off, which is presumably due to provision of teaching in schools?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pfifes said:

There is a reason the English are complacent about learning foreign languages.  It is because English is a lingua franca.  It is not an inherent characteristic of being English 😂.  The same would be true of say the Dutch or Swedes if their languages were widely spoken around the world.  
And before someone jumps on me in true SF fashion I do think as a nation we should promote the learning of foreign languages.  Apparently degree level study of foreign languages has dropped off, which is presumably due to provision of teaching in schools?

I totally agree pfifes . I do like languages though & enjoyed them in school , albeit I only got taught French & German 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

I totally agree pfifes . I do like languages though & enjoyed them in school , albeit I only got taught French & German 

Yes, absolutely and it’s a shame the teaching of foreign languages seems to be in decline.

• Like 1