Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

35 minutes ago, cressida said:

Tiktok seem to be stirring up trouble,  can the government ban it?

There is a reason TikTok is banned in China even though it originated there.

They must be laughing their socks off watching the West implode.

Their plan is working.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Their plan is working.

Also worth noting that some execs of social media companies don't let their kids use social media.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

The fact is that every one of my Muslim or non-British neighbours is worth 50 of tracksuit man's sort, in terms of what they contribute to our society. And while his ilk have Tommy Robinson as their hero, I admire people like Leanne Lucas who was stabbed multiple times defending the children from the attacker. 

That may be your personal experience but stereotyping works both ways.  ‘Tracksuit man’ is a negative stereotype.  If I made a similar regarding the dress or appearance of ‘Muslim or non-British’ people and that my white neighbours were worth 50 of these people, I would have my comment removed and warned/banned.  To be clear I don’t wish to make such a comment as I don’t like stereotypes, I am just highlighting the issue that it is comments like this that stoke up resentment and play into the hands of the far right.  

I understand what you mean by ‘tracksuit man’ but that type of person comes in various skin tones in my experience.  There are criminal, layabout scroungers from all backgrounds.  The reasons are complex but skin tone isn’t one of them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redruby said:

That may be your personal experience but stereotyping works both ways.  ‘Tracksuit man’ is a negative stereotype.  If I made a similar regarding the dress or appearance of ‘Muslim or non-British’ people and that my white neighbours were worth 50 of these people, I would have my comment removed and warned/banned.  To be clear I don’t wish to make such a comment as I don’t like stereotypes, I am just highlighting the issue that it is comments like this that stoke up resentment and play into the hands of the far right.  

I understand what you mean by ‘tracksuit man’ but that type of person comes in various skin tones in my experience.  There are criminal, layabout scroungers from all backgrounds.  The reasons are complex but skin tone isn’t one of them.

Hi, I was referring to the specific man in the video, sorry for any confusion. For the record, I don't like terms like 'chav' for the reasons you give above 

Re the Darwin candidate, not sure if this might be the same chap
https://www.merseyside.police.uk/news/merseyside/news/2024/july/fifth-arrest-following-disorder-in-southport/

We have arrested a fifth man in connection with the violent disorder in Southport on Tuesday night (30 July).
Officers were called to a report of a domestic incident in Southport today (Wednesday 31 July) where it was reported a man had made threats to a male family member.
Police attended and the suspect was taken to hospital for treatment for a head injury.
Officers recognised the man from footage of the disorder in Southport on Tuesday, where he is alleged to have thrown rocks at officers and struck a police van, and where it is believed the head injury was sustained.

2 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Re the Darwin candidate, not sure if this might be the same chap
https://www.merseyside.police.uk/news/merseyside/news/2024/july/fifth-arrest-following-disorder-in-southport/

We have arrested a fifth man in connection with the violent disorder in Southport on Tuesday night (30 July).
Officers were called to a report of a domestic incident in Southport today (Wednesday 31 July) where it was reported a man had made threats to a male family member.
Police attended and the suspect was taken to hospital for treatment for a head injury.
Officers recognised the man from footage of the disorder in Southport on Tuesday, where he is alleged to have thrown rocks at officers and struck a police van, and where it is believed the head injury was sustained.

Well he sounds lovely.

Apparently some kind of far right protest is planned for Rotherham this weekend. Because the obvious response to a man born in the UK to Rwandan parents killing children in Southport is to target a mosque or completely unrelated asylum seekers in Rotherham.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Well he sounds lovely.

Apparently some kind of far right protest is planned for Rotherham this weekend. Because the obvious response to a man born in the UK to Rwandan parents killing children in Southport is to target a mosque or completely unrelated asylum seekers in Rotherham.

My guess is that the protest is more due to past occurrences rather than this latest incident in Southport. It's the straw that's broke the camels back for many, in my opinion.

Have any Mosques actually been damaged yet?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

My guess is that the protest is more due to past occurrences rather than this latest incident in Southport. It's the straw that's broke the camels back for many, in my opinion.

Have any Mosques actually been damaged yet?

I don't know about any mosques being damaged, I have read that there have been a lot of threats made to them in recent days. I agree that any protest in Rotherham is likely to be motivated by past events but it's still not rational. It's pretty obvious that there were a good chunk of people who were waiting to see if was a 'Muslim' name that came out re: Southport. The fake Arabic name that was passed around on social media is evidence of that. A poster on here seemed to lose interest when there seemed to be no Islamic link. 

It's just too reminiscent of pre-war Germany when, to a lot of people, almost everything was the fault of the Jews somehow or other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Some jurisdictions (e.g. USA) are considering a ban but only because they are worried about it being used to gather data for the Chinese government, not because of its generally destabilising influence.

USA should get rid of it. If the Chinese are gathering data, they will be gathering data on undesirables who they won't allow into China. Maybe USA should learn from them. 

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Their plan is working.

What plan?

TikTok isn't available in China but they use their own name of DouYin, which is the same thing and the same company.

All this talk of social media problems is simply because people can be anonymous, however, in China, they have the right idea and you can't post anonymously (very easily). My wechat account is monitored and everything I write is available to the government, so I don't post a load of crap and lies. To get my account, I needed to be verified by someone in China, not everyone can just join it. 

China is way ahead of the west in many ways, and control of idiots is one of the good things. (of course, only IMO)

59 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Also worth noting that some execs of social media companies don't let their kids use social media.

Not sure about this. Where did you hear this? I think hiding people from it probably isn't a great thing either. It exists these days, so knowledge of it, I think is also important. 

-

I've always said, the internet was better when only smart people used it (or wanted to use it) - in fact forums originally were smart people exchanging thoughts and ideas. Social media (which really started when phones became 'smartphones') is when things lost control, because every idiot can write their opinions without restraint. 

Personally, and I've said this before, I'd ban the lot of them, and do the China option and have one that everyone can use, but is also used for multiple other things. My wechat and alipay in China mean I can order food, taxis, pay for transport, and chat to who I want. 

2 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

USA should get rid of it. If the Chinese are gathering data, they will be gathering data on undesirables who they won't allow into China. Maybe USA should learn from them. 

What plan?

TikTok isn't available in China but they use their own name of DouYin, which is the same thing and the same company.

All this talk of social media problems is simply because people can be anonymous, however, in China, they have the right idea and you can't post anonymously (very easily). My wechat account is monitored and everything I write is available to the government, so I don't post a load of crap and lies. To get my account, I needed to be verified by someone in China, not everyone can just join it. 

China is way ahead of the west in many ways, and control of idiots is one of the good things. (of course, only IMO)

Not sure about this. Where did you hear this? I think hiding people from it probably isn't a great thing either. It exists these days, so knowledge of it, I think is also important. 

-

I've always said, the internet was better when only smart people used it (or wanted to use it) - in fact forums originally were smart people exchanging thoughts and ideas. Social media (which really started when phones became 'smartphones') is when things lost control, because every idiot can write their opinions without restraint. 

Personally, and I've said this before, I'd ban the lot of them, and do the China option and have one that everyone can use, but is also used for multiple other things. My wechat and alipay in China mean I can order food, taxis, pay for transport, and chat to who I want. 

Some interesting points as usual ash. I'm not sure the China govt have everything as under control as you make it sound though - there's no issue using a VPN in China, enabling use of WhatsApp or any other app.