Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

Interesting discussion earlier on ‘Freedom of Speech’

It is worth noting that there is no UK legislation protecting ‘Freedom of Speech’ and it is a largely US term.

The closest thing we have here is the European legislation (grandfathered into UK law following Brexit) of ‘Freedom of Expression’ — which does have caveats in how far you go, and then there are different legislations for various things such as hate speech, defamation, libel, etc.

Also — any type of ‘Freedom

of Speech’ doesn’t mean there isn’t any ‘Freedom of consequence’ of what is said.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Obviously Tice is using the news report video for a particular reason, but it's also being amplified elsewhere;

The actual Twitter feed I was reading was another by Marc Owen Jones, rolled up here for on account holders
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1820521394134016197.html

I was specifically reading it with reference to the earlier posts discussing Twitter since Musk bought it out, and the much publicised comments regarding civil war.
I genuinely don't understand why he paid so much for the platform, and whether it was to make money, or for more nefarious reasons; there was obvious court cases involved too.
This screenshot's from the end of the thread, but the whole thing is worth considering; RadioGenoa gets a mention too.

image.png.c7a3b4593fc53432ec66edc3cf293927.png

As I've said earlier. Musk isn't alone in think that. He just has a far bigger reach than most people. 

The prospect of civil war is becoming a topic of conversation for some people. As I've previously said I don't think it'll happen. Definitely not in my or my kids lifetime but yes, people are beginning to discuss it as a possibility. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peak4 said:

This screenshot's from the end of the thread, but the whole thing is worth considering; RadioGenoa gets a mention too.

image.png.c7a3b4593fc53432ec66edc3cf293927.png

Musk - in America, don't forget - clearly likes spreading fear and apprehension. I wonder why?

I hate to say this, but it is about time this, and similar platforms, were forced to behave, or risk being closed down.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Obviously Tice is using the news report video for a particular reason, but it's also being amplified elsewhere;

It's not always easy to know the facts, but if you think about the motivation of Tice and Farage, they want more riots.

What drives Tice and Farage, they are not doing it for the good of the nation.

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Musk - in America, don't forget - clearly likes spreading fear and apprehension. I wonder why?

I hate to say this, but it is about time this, and similar platforms, were forced to behave, or risk being closed down.

Fully appreciate that, hence some of my comments.
The notable thing for me, which some folk might not have picked up, is that by replying to these deliberately divisive accounts, he's intentionally amplifying them; it doesn't matter that he's mentioned civil war, any comment would do the trick, "civil war" just provides even more publicity as we have seen today.
A more responsible site owner might consider restricting them, but he's chosen to raise their prominence.
I still wonder if it's about monetarisation, or something far more dangerous.

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It's not always easy to know the facts, but if you think about the motivation of Tice and Farage, they want more riots.

What drives Tice and Farage, they are not doing it for the good of the nation.

Money, that’s all they care about.

8 minutes ago, mafya said:

This one seems to be taking food instead of his country the silly boy=

Do you think perhaps he's seen this an going to offer the coppers some lunch?

1 minute ago, peak4 said:

Fully appreciate that, hence some of my comments.
The notable thing for me, which some folk might not have picked up, is that by replying to these deliberately divisive accounts, he's intentionally amplifying them; it doesn't matter that he's mentioned civil war, any comment would do the trick, "civil war" just provides even more publicity as we have seen today.
A more responsible site owner might consider restricting them, but he's chosen to raise their prominence.
I still wonder if it's about monetarisation, or something far more dangerous.

Can't answer most of that - although I notice he is being particularly irresponsible, Maybe he's losing his mind?

• Like 1