Demonstrations, Riots and Disorder Across the UK Following the Southport Attacks

Hotel Staff Barricade Against Mob

Terrified hotel staff barricaded themselves against rioters who smashed their way into the Holiday Inn Express in Manvers, Rotherham, on Sunday.

IMG_4695.webp

The shocking incident saw workers at the hotel pushing fridges and other furniture against doors to create makeshift barriers as a mob surged into the building. The clash resulted in twelve police officers sustaining injuries from rocks, fence posts, and other missiles thrown by the crowd. Six people have been arrested in connection with the violence.

A Night of Terror

Hotel staff, too scared to be identified, described the experience as "absolutely terrifying," with one man inside the building during the break-in recounting how people were scared for their lives. Despite the chaos, no one inside the hotel was injured.

IMG_4696.webp

Nearby residents also experienced the terror firsthand, with rioters breaking into their gardens and starting fires. Tom Scully, a local resident, described the harrowing scene:

“That’s when they started ripping all these fences apart and getting into next door’s garden, so I took the kids away and evacuated the house. As we were coming out with the kids, one of the neighbours got in the garden to try and hose down the fence to try and keep it from taking.”

Another neighbour, Chris Shaw, revealed how rioters stole logs from his property to throw at police. Although he was at work during the riots, he instructed his wife to take their cat and leave the property for safety.

Displaced Asylum Seekers

Approximately 240 asylum seekers who had been staying at the hotel were moved overnight following the clashes. The unrest involved a crowd of around 700 people, with tensions running high between the police and protesters.

Police Vow to Find Culprits

South Yorkshire's Assistant Chief Constable Lindsey Butterfield condemned the violence and vowed to hold those responsible accountable. She detailed the impact on the police force, stating:

"Our police dogs suffered minor injuries after missiles were launched at them, and the horses had bricks, eggs, bottles, and beer cans thrown at their heads. So far, we have had six arrests - one in Sheffield and five in Rotherham - with one person already charged and will be before the court. Please be assured we expect this number to increase significantly over the coming days. If you were there, we will find you."

• Sad 1

Listening to Sky News earlier one protestor said it was the illegal immigrants he wanted out not the legal ones - so if we sent the illegals back to France

what would be the outcome?

8 minutes ago, cressida said:

I know it sounds bad but to have moved the foreigners out of the Hotel the rioters have got their own way so it may encourage more actions by these people .

7 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

I know it sounds bad but to have moved the foreigners out of the Hotel the rioters have got their own way so it may encourage more actions by these people .I am referring to thd Rotherham Holiday inn same sort of mindless violence 

25 minutes ago, cressida said:

Listening to Sky News earlier one protestor said it was the illegal immigrants he wanted out not the legal ones - so if we sent the illegals back to France

what would be the outcome?

Brexit means it's not, automatically, an option.

We couldn't return them even before Brexit,  with the EU it was 'do as we say' well,  rather than civil war I'd prefer a clampdown on illegal arrivals,  I'm surprised the protestors aren't on the beaches where the boats/dinghies arrive.