Plans to demolish B&M and Fun Zone in Hillsborough to build new flats.

11 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

The latest round of Park Hill is an example; 105 flats proposed, and 32 parking spaces 🤦‍♂️

Yes public transport links might be there, and might be great, but not everyone wants to use public transport

And it sounds like 32 residents at Park Hill don't have to use public transport, if they don't want to.

I don't get people's issue - people like you Pyrotequila worry about the lack of parking and use phrases like, "but not everyone wants to use public transport", but what about 'not everyone wants to use a car'? Why wouldn't a mix of options be acceptable? Why would someone who is that desperate for car ownership even consider living in a city centre flat without a parking space?

Add together every car-free flat across the city of Sheffield and I promise you that figure will still pale in comparison to the countless properties across Sheffield which have ample dedicated or on-street parking, whether that's in the suburbs, inner-city, or city centre (you can still find countless city centre flats with parking in the city centre, and probably Hillsborough). I bet you across all of Sheffield, 95% of residential properties have either a driveway, accessible on-street parking, or a dedicated space within flats/apartment complexes. Quit worrying.

You have a very car-centric view of what should or shouldn't be provided.

I really do think there seem to be many of you who live in suburban areas with a car on the drive and genuinely cannot imagine or envisage any kind of possible lifestyle that any one might live that doesn't involve a car, as if you just star, non-plussed at any suggestion of not owning a car. It's scary, the way car-brain takes over so many people.

I have a licence, and drive semi-regularly by the way (I don't own a car, I don't need one).

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

This is an issue I see pop up quite often in these situations, and I'm surprised people don't find it as strange as I do.

The latest round of Park Hill is an example; 105 flats proposed, and 32 parking spaces 🤦‍♂️

Yes public transport links might be there, and might be great, but not everyone wants to use public transport.... If you spend however many thousands on a shiny new flat, the chances are that you own a car too.

It seems to be a growing trend that younger people aren’t as interested in owning a car nowadays. Generally it will be younger people interested in living in flats.

There are car clubs which can be ok for people who don’t have a car but need one occasionally. There’s one here.

The lack of dedicated off street parking in apartment developments is leading to problems in areas like Kelham. When I was at the council I was regularly replying to complaints from folk who lived there who were moaning about how long it took them to find a parking space on street nowadays. There are no restrictions on the on street parking, so it gets clogged with residents vehicles and the local businesses are also complaining that customers can’t park to get to them. I believe the council did some consultation on having a parking scheme in Kelham and in the area around park hill flats and public reaction was negative, so they haven’t happened. Most of the newer apartment developments have a planning condition that residents won’t be eligible for parking permits in any local scheme.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

I don't have a driving licence and I don't own a car.

Your thoughts now?

Makes it even more bizarre then that you don't seem to get it.