The Battle of Sheffield City Centre

21 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

I didn't know there were designated quiet zones anywhere. Makes sense to go several times of the day and night when thinking about moving to a property.

That’s exactly what I did High. Spent months looking at different areas to get exactly what suited me. Of course, things are a lot easier researching future neighbourhoods these days what with t’interweb, but a close up look see beats all.

29 minutes ago, Michael_N said:

Who'd have ever thought someone would move to town, for the quiet life... 😆

Seriously, what do they expect!

A friend of mine has lived in the city centre in Manchester for 25 years, well before many venues had licences to open in the early hours of the morning. I know she's been very active in liaising with her local authority and the police in trying to get her side of the story heard; such as fast food places leaving food outside so that there are frequent rat infestations, and beggars / addicts pitching up on pavements causing fights etc. 

I don't envy her, sounds like a nightmare. 

I live close enough to the city centre to walk it in, but far enough away to forget it's existence when I've had enough of idiots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, hackey lad said:

With what's happening all around , I wonder how many people see this thread title and fear the worst . 

Did you see my opening line in the first post I made in this thread? 

On 01/08/2024 at 12:46, YorkieontheTyne said:

No good whingeing about something that’s been there long before you were. Sorry.

Unfortunately this 'phenomenon'  isn't  unique to this story either. 

I'm a car enthusiast and have been most of my life. When I was in my late teens/20s there were lots of smaller race track that you could get a few mates together and afford to hire for the day.

But then councils started to allow housing developments near them and then the noise complaints rolled in, councils imposed restrictions on the tracks operating times which ultimately made them unusable & they closed. Even big tracks like Castle Combe have been threatened with this. Big, well known tracks are expensive. 

Things like nearby noise from existing infrastructure/businesses should be acknowledged in the purchase contract so that when the buyer starts moaning, the local authority can just say 'you knew of this when purchasing, you completed your purchase in full knowledge so suck it up.' 

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

With what's happening all around , I wonder how many people see this thread title and fear the worst . 

TBH it was my first thought from the title. But then that's why @SheffieldForum used that specific wording, it's clickbait. 

• Like 1

IMHO the answer is to turn it into a huge student village, no need to re-vamp it to suit anyone other than students. The release of the current plethora of student accommodation could solve Sheffield’s housing problem.

11 hours ago, Resident said:

TBH it was my first thought from the title. But then that's why @SheffieldForum used that specific wording, it's clickbait. 

It is taken from The Tribune article.

Probably not the best title considering what’s happening around the country at the moment!

• Like 1