Clive Betts. E-bikes: A Threat to Public Safety

Riding bikes on the pavement is already illegal isn't it?  So surely it's a police issue?

The scooters would be fine if they were limited to 5-10mph, no-one would bother riding them at the speed.

Edited by geared
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, geared said:

Riding bikes on the pavement is already illegal isn't it?  So surely it's a police issue?

The scooters would be fine if they were limited to 5-10mph, no-one would bother riding them at the speed.

Yes apart from designated cycle paths/shared cycle paths it is illegal to ride on the path. 

• Like 3

To follow on from the above; bear in mind this is "The City of London", not The Met or Greater London
City of London Police seize five illegal e-bikes and e-scooters a week CoL Police web site

The City of London Police relaunched its cycling capability last summer to help combat phone snatching, as well as other offences like drug and road offences.

The cycle response unit is highly visible, and able to quickly get through areas inaccessible to vehicles.

The modified bikes have been illegally converted to have a motor greater than 250 watt and include a throttle that means the rider no longer needs to propel the pedals to trigger the power assistance.

Legal e-bikes are not permitted to exceed 15.5mph and the motor will cut out if the maximum speed is hit.

Illegal bikes have been clocked at doing nearly double the permitted limit.

The modifications affectively turn the e-bikes into motorbikes and therefore in order to be road-legal require tax, insurance and a driving licence for the rider.

Riders of these vehicles in the City, if caught, can expect to have them seized and depending on the offence, receive a fine of £300.

• Like 3

probably too late to point out that really we're talking about electric mopeds/motorbikes here.

i've got an ebike, i use it for riding to work, and nipping into town. 

• if i'm not pedalling - i get no motor assistance.
  • if i go over 16mph, the motor cuts out, leaving me on my asthmatic tod with a bike that's suddenly very hard to pedal (gearbox and puncture proof tyres are a slow combination!
  • so i tend to take it easy to be honest - the real benefit of my ebike is my increased speed uphill - 13mph instead of 6 - this is where my journey time is reduced.

the 'bikes' you see being ridden by delivery riders are mopeds/motorbikes.

standard (?) ebikes effectively give the rider the equivalent oomph of a young fit rider - but only up to 16mph.

• Like 2