Clive Betts. E-bikes: A Threat to Public Safety

23 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Watching that, it appears cyclists see themselves as not subject to the Highway Code - a large number of them totally ignore the fact that a Zebra crossing signifies that pedestrians have priority.

Equally, there were a large number of dumb pedestrians. Both groups need educating.

I am of the opinion that a large percentage of cyclists DO think that they are not subject to ANY laws and that we should be worshipping for "saving the planet"

1 hour ago, Heorot said:

Those electrically motorised bikes that you don't even have to pedal that you see Uber Eats/Just Eat,etc, delivery riders use are  getting to be a menace. Don't pick on normal pedal bikes.

My bold

We aren't.

Having said that pedal cyclists can be a damn menace too for all the same reasons these e bikes/scooters can be. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alchemist said:

I am of the opinion that a large percentage of cyclists DO think that they are not subject to ANY laws and that we should be worshipping for "saving the planet"

Same here, to some extent, but some -not all, by any means, cyclists do seem to have a massive dislike of using common sense and courtesy - while demanding it from everyone else.

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

We aren't.

Having said that pedal cyclists can be a damn menace too for all the same reasons these e bikes/scooters can be. 

Ageed @The_DADDY - I've suffered, literally on one occasion, from the sheer ignorance/stupidity of pedal cyclists.

A few mates & myself have been in The Albion on London Road this afternoon.  Just below The Albion are a number of eateries & you take your life in your hands just stepping out of the pub doorway into London Road, unless you look left as you do because of the number of delivery bike riders, riding at speed on the very small pavement area going back to the eateries. 

• Like 1

On 02/08/2024 at 11:32, peak4 said:

Spotted on Real Classic bike group on Facebook
image.png.38ab9d5a077df00269da0f8b7a05791e.png

Taking the dog in a morning, if we're a bit later when the children are going to school, regularly see a teenager with his uniform on riding one of these up Abbeydale Rd / up Carter Knowle Rd.  I kept thinking that that's just an electric scooter with seat fitted to the running board.