21 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Visited St James earlier on and drove back through Lowedges towards Bradway, what is going on with the Council verges, they are so overgrown that they could hide Lions in them?

Someone will come along soon on here and explain or give excuses why the council can't cut the grass, probably along with lots of other things that they can't do....just maybe due to lack of money.  The council will still expect to be paid for all these services though from the council tax.

It is for wildlife and biodiversity.

Trimming grass short has very little benefit to biodiversity and wildlife so the council, Amy and the local Wildlife Trist and University of Sheffield did an experiment to ‘meadow’ grass verges and leave them longer, on a rotational basis.

The trial worked and now verges are rotated in terms of cutting to allow native grasses, plants and wildflowers to grow and help wildlife — especially the likes of pollinators — to thrive. In fact, some types of orchid that were thought to be totally lost in our region stand up on some of the verges around lowedges!

Info on the initial phase here: https://www.wildsheffield.com/livinghighways/

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bassett one said:

please note the length of grass on verges has been in place for many years now with just the edges trimmed and this help the climate and the animals ect, so its great for the planet

Well I posted my opinion, which I still hold, however if the residents don’t concur it’s fine with me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meltman said:

Someone will come along soon on here and explain or give excuses why the council can't cut the grass, probably along with lots of other things that they can't do....just maybe due to lack of money.  The council will still expect to be paid for all these services though from the council tax.

You think council tax pays for all council functions? 

Hahahahahahahaha

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Meltman said:

Occasionally I used to walk from Woodhouse to Crystal Peaks taking a shortcut across Linley Bank Meadows to the roundabout at the end of Eckington Way. There isn’t a footpath on either side of Eckington Way but the verges were always cut short and you could walk them. 
I couldn’t do it now, the grass is about three feet high on both sides of the road. They ought to cut the grass on one side at least.

• Like 2