Living in squalor in Parson Cross-waiting for council repairs

3 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Can't argue with that - SCC has failings on many sides - but this specific instance only ever seems to focus on the tenants side/comments. Unless I've missed it, I don't recall having seen any comment/explanation from the council itself. NOTE: I'm not defending them, they are incompetent.

Ah, but earlier you said:

“So this individual claims.I am not a council tenant, but have contacted the council on other matters often - and have rarely, if ever been 'pushed around from pillar to post'.”

Which rather suggests that you think the council is efficient.  This tenant has been forced to live with an unsafe staircase, mould, a crumbling bath panel and leaking door frame for over five years.  It is not acceptable to be living in squalor for years due to the failure of the council to carry out repairs.

1 minute ago, redruby said:

Ah, but earlier you said:

“So this individual claims.I am not a council tenant, but have contacted the council on other matters often - and have rarely, if ever been 'pushed around from pillar to post'.”

Which rather suggests that you think the council is efficient.  This tenant has been forced to live with an unsafe staircase, mould, a crumbling bath panel and leaking door frame for over five years.  It is not acceptable to be living in squalor for years due to the failure of the council to carry out repairs.

Yes, I said that. However, with no intention of insulting the lady, I just wonder how she has allowed this to go on - for five years - without contacting, say, her local councillor(s) if she has had no joy with the department(s) concerned. FYI, I have done so when nothing has been done within a reasonable time-frame, and got a result.

I repeat - why do we never hear a response from the council in these 'reports'??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Yes, I said that. However, with no intention of insulting the lady, I just wonder how she has allowed this to go on - for five years - without contacting, say, her local councillor(s) if she has had no joy with the department(s) concerned. FYI, I have done so when nothing has been done within a reasonable time-frame, and got a result.

I repeat - why do we never hear a response from the council in these 'reports'??

Well, she may have done that for all we know.  But assuming she hasn’t, why should a council tenant have go to such lengths for essential repairs?  She had already got as far as contacting Yorkshire Live.  She shouldn’t have needed to do this.  Again, this is victim blaming,  the council haven’t carried out essential repairs and have left this tenant in an unsafe, mouldy and leaking house and yet apparently it’s not the council’s fault. 

1 minute ago, redruby said:

Well, she may have done that for all we know.  But assuming she hasn’t, why should a council tenant have go to such lengths for essential repairs?  She had already got as far as contacting Yorkshire Live.  She shouldn’t have needed to do this.  Again, this is victim blaming,  the council haven’t carried out essential repairs and have left this tenant in an unsafe, mouldy and leaking house and yet apparently it’s not the council’s fault. 

Last response - for tonight. So, you are making assumptions, a dangerous path to tread. Contacting your local councillors is a perfectly valid and normal route if the 'official' channels fail. Again, where is the council response in these 'reports?

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Last response - for tonight. So, you are making assumptions, a dangerous path to tread. Contacting your local councillors is a perfectly valid and normal route if the 'official' channels fail. Again, where is the council response in these 'reports?

I’d say that unsafe staircase is a more ‘dangerous path to tread’ than making assumptions!!

Of course contacting a councillor is a valid thing to do.  But that isn’t the point I was making.  The point is that the responsibility of for sorting out essential repairs lies with the council.  It shouldn’t be a requirement or  normal practice for a tenant to have to escalate matters to their local councillor.

On 04/08/2024 at 14:52, gamezone07 said:

I wonder where the huge amount of activists, progressives, etc are, certainly not doing anything about this awful situation, once upon atime

they would have been there for them.

I'm a member of Acorn, the community union. One of our members in Sheffield, a Council tenant, had been told umpteen times that their repairs would get done but it never happened. Then Acorn took it their case up and members bombarded the repairs service and the relevant councillor with emails and phone calls about it. Repairs done in less than a fortnight. So maybe that's where all the activists and progressives are.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

I’d say that unsafe staircase is a more ‘dangerous path to tread’ than making assumptions!!

Of course contacting a councillor is a valid thing to do.  But that isn’t the point I was making.  The point is that the responsibility of for sorting out essential repairs lies with the council.  It shouldn’t be a requirement or  normal practice for a tenant to have to escalate matters to their local councillor.

Totally. It all got a lot worse after the coalition government removed legal aid for what is known as 'disrepair'. After that decision, people could go to Shelter for legal representation, but that was limited by the amount of funds Shelter could afford to put towards case workers. Otherwise, they were on their own and landlords have made the most of that lack of representation by really slacking off on the repairs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redruby said:

:thumbsup: