In t´bin or in´t bin?

IT'S NOT A LETTER T AT ALL AND THERE'S NO NEED FOR AN APOSTROPHE.

What actually makes the sound is known as a glottal stop, a release of air when the glottis has been completely closed. (Look it up)

So it should be written " in bin"

THERE IS NO LETTER T. 

The  t is what southerners have interpreted it as, because they can't speak proper like what we can in Yorkshire.

You can also hear it in some pronunciations of water and butter, i.e wa er and bu er.

So, gerrit reight an talk bloody proper. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

What actually makes the sound is known as a glottal stop, a release of air when the glottis has been completely closed. (Look it up)

THERE IS NO LETTER T. 

The  t is what southerners have interpreted it as, because they can't speak proper like what we can in Yorkshire.

You can also hear it in some pronunciations of water and butter, i.e wa er and bu er.

Where’s the indication of a glottal stop if it’s written “in bin”?
There isn’t any.

I remember listening to a radio play of one of the Poirot short stories.  They obviously had a southerner playing the role of a Yorkshire cook.  The script included lines that should have sounded like this:

'Something must've gone wrong wit order' (Something must have gone wrong with the order) and 'Everyone int house'. (Everyone in the house).

Which would have translated to the script page as 'something must've gone wrong wit' t'order', and 'Everyone in t'house'.

Unfortunately, she said the lines as 'Something must've gone wrong wit torder' and 'Everyone int touse'. 

Not a bad crack at the accent though, apart from that.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

Put it in the bin -> Put it in t'bin.  Pronounced put it int bin.

The h and e of 'the' are removed, so in goes the apostrophe.

Ah, Good point. I've always interpreted as 'in to bin' rather than 'int bin'

32 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

THERE IS NO LETTER T. 

Waddle. With a T.