In t´bin or in´t bin?

22 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Where’s the indication of a glottal stop if it’s written “in bin”?
There isn’t any.

There are too many to list here.  The most common one I've come across in the International Phonetic Alphabet is ʔ,  like a question mark without a dot at the bottom, but there are many in different languages so it's difficult to choose just one. Look it up if you're interested...

Don't want to bore people, but I might have done that already. Sorry...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, saywhatnow said:

Ah, Good point. I've always interpreted as 'in to bin' rather than 'int bin'

That would work too:

Put it into the bin -> Put it in' t'bin -> Put it int bin.

or

Put it into the bin -> Put it int' bin -> Put it int bin.   If the apostrophe removes the 'the' too.

When I moved to Holland I noticed that the Dutch have a similar thing, where their word “het” (meaning “the”) gets abbreviated to ‘t.  For example “in the field” which translates as “in het veld” is sometimes seen as “in ‘t veld”.  That Dutch word “het” is very similar to “det”, which is the Danish word for “the”.  Now something like 75% of Yorkshire dialect has Norse or Danish origin, and of course because of trading there was also a certain Dutch and Frisian influence along  the east side of England as well. I’m wondering if the  Yorkshire “t” isn’t really an abbreviation for “the” but is a hangover from our Viking past when people would have spoken Danish? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Padders said:

I usually say "Lob it in bin"

Does that account for Padders Bar, :hihi:   this is what happens when you barr an innocent Law abiding Citizen and picking them up on their smelling mistakes and miss pronouncing their worms.  You Tyrant! :hihi:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spilldig said:

I'm still trying to figure out the old Star Trek one, "To go boldly" or, "To boldly go".

Nitpickers would say that “to boldly go” is wrong because it splits the infinitive but really there’s no reason why you can’t do that and both versions are equally ok.