New 23-Storey Apartment Block Planned for Queens Road

39 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Jesus don't open that can of worms... AndrewC will come and lecture you with an essay about why cars are worse than Hitler and nobody ever needs to drive again 😉

No need to get tetchy with me just because you struggle to understand my brilliant presentations on car dependency x

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Do you think they have done no market research etc to work this out before commiting millions into building it? 

They'll just be taking a punt, you know how these big businesses work!

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Where are all the people that are going to live in all these new apartment blocks they are building coming from?

Immigants, I'll bet! 🤬 I've just text my mate Tommy Robinson and he has promised 3 coaches of patriots from Cleethorpes for a protest outside the site tomorrow afternoon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 06/08/2024 at 11:57, SheffieldForum said:

Sheffield City Council has received new proposals for a 23-storey apartment block near the city-centre end of Queens Road, promising to transform a former sports ground into a residential and commercial hub.

Project Overview

Bluecastle Capital has applied for permission to construct 336 flats in a building ranging from 10 to 23 storeys on the former British Rail Club Sports Ground between Farm Road and Queens Road. The development will include communal indoor and outdoor spaces, car parking, cycle storage, and landscaping works. The plan involves demolishing existing buildings on the site.

visuals2.jpg

Architectural and Design Features

The proposed scheme features three interconnected buildings of varying heights, each with roof terraces. Some of these terraces will be private, while others will be communal. Many of the flats will include Juliet balconies or larger balconies, and 177 units will be dual aspect, offering views in two different directions.

An application submitted to the council reveals that the flats will be built for rental purposes. Compared to a similar scheme approved in March 2022, the current proposal reduces the number of one-bedroom flats from 168 to 156, increases the number of two-bedroom flats by 28 to 168, and reduces the number of three-bedroom flats from 16 to 12. Additionally, the parking spaces have been reduced from 29 to 19, and the number of cycle spaces has decreased from 358 to 336. The communal space and residents' gym have both been increased in size.

Sheffield+File+1.jpg

Strategic Location and Impact

The site, approximately 0.45 hectares in size, is part of the Sheaf Valley Development Framework (SVDF) regeneration zone and is ideally located within a 10-minute walk from the city centre and a 5-minute walk from Sheffield's Midland Station.

Compliance and Amendments

The application seeks to amend several conditions from the existing planning permission due to changes in Building Regulations, which now requires buildings over 18 metres in height to have at least two stair cores. This necessitates changes to the internal layout and other improvements to the scheme, including increasing apartment sizes to meet Nationally Described Space Standards (NDSS), enhancing the building form, and providing a more diverse housing mix. The proposal also aims to significantly reduce carbon emissions through an improved energy and sustainability strategy, including the introduction of Air Source Heat Pumps.

Sheffield+File+4.jpg

Top picture, right hand side I get but what's the other, equally large building on the left hand side of Queens Road? 

Anyone know? 

19 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Top picture, right hand side I get but what's the other, equally large building on the left hand side of Queens Road? 

Anyone know? 

There is another development proposed (already gained planning permission if memory serves me right) on the site that's on the west side if Queens Road, currently occupied by a couple of low-rise offices.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Anyone know? 

20 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

There is another development proposed (already gained planning permission if memory serves me right) on the site that's on the west side if Queens Road, currently occupied by a couple of low-rise offices.

Was a good question though! I wondered the same at first.