Tips and Tricks for Dealing With Low Mood.

Do you have any? 

Usually I come on here and have a browse, a chat, a laugh and sometimes I learn something. This place really Is a tonic, mostly. 

Sheffield Forum has helped me through some tough times and will no doubt help me through more in the future.

So what do you do?

And more importantly,  Does it work?

Your thoughts?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Do you have any? 

Usually I come on here and have a browse, a chat, a laugh and sometimes I learn something. This place really Is a tonic, mostly. 

Sheffield Forum has helped me through some tough times and will no doubt help me through more in the future.

So what do you do?

And more importantly,  Does it work?

Your thoughts?

it’s hard work if you’re in that frame of mind.

i struggle a lot with mental health - nothing too serious but i worry and whittle and overthink.

if I do something completely different to my normal routine sometimes when I’m doing that I find myself thinking “what have you been worrying about you daft get”

maybe just do something you’ve thought about doing and not done - a visit somewhere - a film - a walk somewhere.

I know none of that’s a permanent fix or owt but might take edge off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mkapaka said:

it’s hard work if you’re in that frame of mind.

i struggle a lot with mental health - nothing too serious but i worry and whittle and overthink.

if I do something completely different to my normal routine sometimes when I’m doing that I find myself thinking “what have you been worrying about you daft get”

maybe just do something you’ve thought about doing and not done - a visit somewhere - a film - a walk somewhere.

I know none of that’s a permanent fix or owt but might take edge off.

Sorry to hear you sometimes struggle mate. I can definitely relate to the overthinking. I do that a lot. Its always about the small stuff too 🤣

Important stuff it's like, "Yep, screw it let's get on with it" but the insignificant stuff I'll wittle about for an age..

My bold 

Some great advice there @Mkapaka

Cheers for sharing 👍 

• Thanks 1

If I am going through a bit of a low period, I always force myself to do the opposite of what I feel like - so I will try and go for a long walk, put the radio or TV on to distract myself if I'm at home, or if I have the energy I will try an activity like baking or swimming,

Gave up smoking about 6 months ago and one of the websites which was giving tips on quitting said that if you feel low, never go with your feelings (e.g. go to bed, put on sad music, or sad films, feel sorry for yourself) - as these tend to perpetuate how you feel.

I thought it was really sound advice, and to be fair, I'm still quit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mister M said:

If I am going through a bit of a low period, I always force myself to do the opposite of what I feel like - so I will try and go for a long walk, put the radio or TV on to distract myself if I'm at home, or if I have the energy I will try an activity like baking or swimming,

Gave up smoking about 6 months ago and one of the websites which was giving tips on quitting said that if you feel low, never go with your feelings (e.g. go to bed, put on sad music, or sad films, feel sorry for yourself) - as these tend to perpetuate how you feel.

A genuine well done for kicking the habit. Tried many times myself but not succeeded so respect for that.

Some great advice too so thank you. 

• Like 1

I try two tricks when I'm over thinking, one is instead of looking up at the mountain, the problem, look down on it, it's just a dot in the landscape. The other is I imagine I'm laying on a beach, listening to the waves lapping on the shore, both work for me.

I gave up smoking a good few years ago, it's not wanting one that's the tricky part, to be fair also I just got fed up with it.

Edited by Guest
To to two

10 hours ago, Mister M said:

Yeah, the low mood paradox is that you want to do the things you shouldn't, and don't want to do the things you should. But once you've done the things you should, you remember why they're good to do.