Words & Phrases that irritate

1 minute ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

There is one though , Americans tend to say VeHicle , well I suppose you can see why 

Don't get me started... I just wish people in the U.K weren't adopting U.S.A speech so easily. Its a real irritation! :roll: - just to add, I don't understand VeHicle. 

6 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Yes, "Gotten" I hate seeing that. Another Americanism getting adopted here. It's an irritation for me sadly.

When people say in a shop - "can I get?" Rather than "can I have?"

27 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

“Cascade this to your team” and other corporate speak, such as  “sharing our passion for excellence

Blue sky thinking, think outside the box, futureproof our organisation

I also find the trend for people to raise the pitch of their voices at the end of their sentence really annoying. It's as if people are constantly asking questions! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Don't get me started... I just wish people in the U.K weren't adopting U.S.A speech so easily. Its a real irritation! :roll: - just to add, I don't understand VeHicle. 

They put the emphasis on H , when saying vehicle 

Just now, Mister M said:

Blue sky thinking, think outside the box, futureproof our organisation

I also find the trend for people to raise the pitch of their voices at the end of their sentence really annoying. It's as if people are constantly asking questions! 

Oh hell yes Mister M , that I think comes from Australia , because when I went over there , they all do that , raise their voice at the end of a sentence 

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Yes, that's one that irritates me a lot. There used to be a joke response going around - "Yes, you can get it in another shop. Bugger off" :hihi: 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Oh hell yes Mister M , that I think comes from Australia , because when I went over there , they all do that , raise their voice at the end of a sentence 

Otherwise known as 'upward inflection' if I remember correctly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

They put the emphasis on H , when saying vehicle 

I understand that but couldn't understand why you could think of it as normal. Having thought about it I do now see why they would pronounce it that way. If people start pronouncing vehicle with the emphasis on the H in the U.K. well... sigh... grits teeth... :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

Four words used mainly by young sloppy TV Presenters,  Basically,   used  just about every sentence as  a filler word while they  are thinking of something to say.  Awesome,  ( American slush) Totallly ( Childish)  , and  the word, Super (unless the conversation is about Starmer,  Super Man)  :hihi:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

Four words used mainly by young sloppy TV Presenters,  Basically,   used  just about every sentence as  a filler word while they  are thinking of something to say.  Awesome,  ( American slush) Totallly ( Childish)  , and  the word, Super (unless the conversation is about Starmer,  Super Man)  :hihi:

I can't understand, why in Gods name people have started putting "Super" in front of words?

It's super annoying, and obviously a trend followed by the super mindless.

Honestly it's super ridiculous.

• Haha 2