5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Why the whole women and children thing?

I fully understand children just like I wouldn't expect lots of types of adult conversations to be happening in front of kids.

However, as for in front of women.  Why not? 

We are long away from the ye olde days when women are supposedly treated as some weaker sex, some delicate flowers kept indoors  except in the odd special occasion when they come out to show off their pretty little dress and be shielded away in separate lounge rooms from those dirty gruff manly blokes.

Most women I know give as good as they get when it comes to language - if not worse when they all get together.  

I blame that Emmeline (Emily) Pankhurst.........

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

You want to meet my daughters Mr. Williamson, maybe you'd get a better understanding..

They make their mum look like Mother Teresa. 

If a put a foot out of place, disagree with them, not do as I'm told, I get severely reprimanded, and fined..

I'm not proud of the fact that they take advantage of my kindness and generosity.

I feel your pain Padders, I also have two daughters and an 11 year old ( going on 35 ) granddaughter. My 16 year old grandson is little help, he's highly intelligent and wise enough to keep out of it when he can.

My wife is very non confrontational but she can make her feelings very clear with ' the look ' only a total idiot would then continue on the slippery slope to their doom 🤣.

I've always loved women, they're fascinating creatures not to be underestimated or trifled with. At a young and impressionable age I was taught by nuns 😲 shall we say that I was disabused of any notion that they are the ' gentle sex ' or - other than in the female form - the ' fairer sex '. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Why the whole women and children thing?

I fully understand children just like I wouldn't expect lots of types of adult conversations to be happening in front of kids.

However, as for in front of women.  Why not? 

We are long away from the ye olde days when women are supposedly treated as some weaker sex, some delicate flowers kept indoors  except in the odd special occasion when they come out to show off their pretty little dress and be shielded away in separate lounge rooms from those dirty gruff manly blokes.

Most women I know give as good as they get when it comes to language - if not worse when they all get together.  

I said not in front of people you don't know well enough to know they won't be offended by it. That would I believe - despite the changing times -  particularly apply to women. The reason being that a man objecting to swearing in front of him would tend to be regarded - rightly or wrongly -  as a bit precious in this day and age, but swearing in front of a women would indicate that you are under the impression she's potty mouthed as well.

I accept that I'm a bit old fashioned but I think there should still be some courtesy and manners employed until such time as you're fully acquainted with someone.

And I agree,  many ladies can churn out the Latin quite well themselves these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

" It shows a lack of intelligence "

No it doesn't, the opposite in fact.  https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/swearing-study-intelligent-intelligence-university-of-rochester-a7916516.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/intelligent-people-swear-more-stay-13263953

https://nypost.com/2023/06/02/you-should-give-a-damn-about-the-health-benefits-of-swearing/

Personally I believe there's a time and a place. Never in front of women or children or people you don't know well enough to know they won't be offended by it.

Padders I quite like your posts but have to say you don't come out of that one looking particularly good. Hen pecked and then kidded into swearing at your wife in public, not a good look. 🙁

Bit condescending.

Equality and all that these days.

21 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Bit condescending.

Equality and all that these days.

You are mistaking manners for condescension. Only an ill mannered lout would assume that it is acceptable for he or she to come out with obscenities in front of strangers. Personally I wouldn't do it in front of a man or a woman but as I said in my last post if it's a woman it's ruder because you're assuming that she looks like a foul mouthed person herself. 

I'm an old bloke and still take note of how I was brought up. I've never been stupid enough to believe that women are inferior to men, and I've also never been stupid enough to believe that there's no difference between them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Padders said:

You want to meet my daughters Mr. Williamson, maybe you'd get a better understanding..

They make their mum look like Mother Teresa. 

If a put a foot out of place, disagree with them, not do as I'm told, I get severely reprimanded, and fined..

I'm not proud of the fact that they take advantage of my kindness and generosity.

m williamson, why is he henpecked ?  He was drunk at the time 🤣. He likes a hassle free life . Nowt wrong with that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

I said not in front of people you don't know well enough to know they won't be offended by it. That would I believe - despite the changing times -  particularly apply to women. The reason being that a man objecting to swearing in front of him would tend to be regarded - rightly or wrongly -  as a bit precious in this day and age, but swearing in front of a women would indicate that you are under the impression she's potty mouthed as well.

I accept that I'm a bit old fashioned but I think there should still be some courtesy and manners employed until such time as you're fully acquainted with someone.

And I agree,  many ladies can churn out the Latin quite well themselves these days.

Saying nowt at all 😆

• Like 1

I have to say , we never swore in front of our parents , especially Mum , but 1 day I was on the phone to her & was telling her about a conversation in the Staff room at work . I was in the middle of the tale ,when I said the F word . There was complete silence from her end & I suddenly realised what I done . I could feel the reddness appearing & Mum said , Helen , did you forget who you were talking to just then . YEP 😔