Japanese Knotweed

I have seen JK in a few locations close to where I live, should I report it? 

I googled it and it stated that perhaps it is not as distructive as we once though. 

But it's classed as a invasive species and should be reported. It does have nice flowers that bees love. 

As it happens, I've got a company coming tomorrow to spray some on a neighbour's land under a builder's warranty scheme.
I would report it to the landowner, in case they are not aware; local councils etc do seem to take it seriously.
It's not illegal to have on your own land, but you could have major legal difficulties if you allow it to spread to a neighbour.
I live over in Buxton now, and it's common over here as the Victorians used it to stabilise railway embankments, as well as for decorative purposes in gardens.
We are very fortunate in the UK, as we only have one sex of the plant, all traceable back to a single specimen from what I remember.
As such, it only spreads via cuttings, rhizome fragments etc.
When they built an adjacent property to us, the principal contractor had to remove the top 5 m of soil, and encase the site in weed proof membrane.
It's treated almost like hazardous waste; there were covered lorries leaving the site numerous times a day for several weeks.
If it's within maybe 10m of a property, you might even struggle to get a mortgage unless there is an insurance backed warranty/treatment plan in place.
N.B. do not let any bits get stuck to your boots, lest it take root in your garden; a bit the size of a little finger nail is enough to start a new colony.
On the bright side, apparently it makes nice jam 🙂

https://www.wildwalks-southwest.co.uk/japanese-knotweed-jam-recipe/

• Like 2

I had to leave for a bit to have tea, to the second bit of my reply; are you sure the plant  is Japanese knotweed, as you  mention nice flowers that the bees love.

For the first time this year, I've seen flowers on our neighbour's crop, and they are tiny.

Knotweed Flowers shrunk.jpg

36 minutes ago, peak4 said:

As it happens, I've got a company coming tomorrow to spray some on a neighbour's land under a builder's warranty scheme.
I would report it to the landowner, in case they are not aware; local councils etc do seem to take it seriously.

The flowers are pink/white and they go pop when ripe. Not sure now.

Its this -

Himalayan balsam tolerates low light levels and also shades out other vegetation, so gradually impoverishing habitats by killing off other plants. It is sometimes seen in gardens, either uninvited or grown deliberately, but care must be taken to ensure that it does not escape into the wild. Himalayan balsam is considered an invasive non-native plant and is listed on Schedule 9. Under the provisions made within Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it is an offence to plant or cause Himalayan balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) to grow in the wild. 

The flowers of Himalayan balsam produce large amounts of nectar and are therefore very attractive to numerous bee species. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Grab a photo, Google search does well as a rule with common plants.
If I have mobile data reception, I sometimes search with Google Eye direct from the phone's camera, or take a photo, upload to the PC and use Google to search from there.
This is a commercial site, perhaps touting for business, but they do have a reasonable section on identification
https://www.pba-solutions.com/japanese-knotweed-news/plants-mistaken-for-japanese-knotweed-pictures/

See also, I'm not advocating a particular commercial solution; this is who's coming tomorrow, but under a contract from the developers, not me.
https://www.jksl.com/japanese-knotweed-identification/

HB is a problem certainly, ask any wildlife trust, but hopefully won't cause as much damage structural damage as knotweed to property if you keep it under control.
I've seen photos of knotweed growing between floorboard, and out of mains sockets, filling kitchen cupboards when the owner returns from holiday etc.
Certainly one to take seriously and spreads up to 7m underground before popping its head up again.

20 minutes ago, El Cid said:

bindweed has pink/white flowers often mistaken as knotweed, before it's in bloom the flowers are trumpet shaped

Japanese knotweed even if in a neighbours property could effect you from getting a mortgage or be a sticking point when trying to sell. If it is knotweed then make the landowner aware..

2 minutes ago, steve68 said:

bindweed has pink/white flowers often mistaken as knotweed, before it's in bloom the flowers are trumpet shaped

Bindweed has white flowers, they get all over too.