Who Is Going To Look After You In Your Later Years (If Need Be)

9 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

We were on a camping holiday a few years ago, having a few drinks by the campfire late at night, with relatives and friends, and a couple were relating troubles over the years with their children and the wife suddenly blurted out "why are your children so well behaved and don't get into trouble? What have you done differently to us as parents?"  I thanked her for the compliment but of course, couldn't answer.

They're still good and steady boys at age sixteen and nineteen. I'm fortunate. 👍

Good on you.

Parents play a big part on how kids end up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Do you have a plan, or hope that your children will help and cope?

In the past I noticed that brothers/sisters helped my Dad and my brother/sister may give me support, altho I am the youngest.

• Like 1

My dad has got terminal cancer and my mum has heart problems and difficulties getting about without crutches due to needing a new knee.

we are 4 brothers and 1 sister and unfortunately 2 brothers and the sister are not interested in helping out due to past minor disagreements so it’s just me and my brother.

At beginning of April I stopped working as my dad came out of hospital in March and was given 2 months to live so needed to be there for him.

I don’t think you can rely  on children as you don’t know how they will turn out, my parents were there for me even when I made some stupid mistakes and I have been bought up with the ethos of respecting your parents and being there for them.

I have 5 children myself so hopefully at least 1 of them may help me out in my old age, if not then I’m afraid I will have to start spending what they would have got as an inheritance on paying for my own care.

I agree with the poster who says it’s how you bring your children up that also I believe has some hearing..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mafya said:

I have 5 children myself so hopefully at least 1 of them may help me out in my old age, if not then I’m afraid I will have to start spending what they would have got as an inheritance on paying for my own care.

I agree with the poster who says it’s how you bring your children up that also I believe has some hearing..

With todays modern world, children go off to uni and end up living miles away or a well-paid job takes them away.

It's a gamble if you don't make sure that you have a good income your entire life.

• Like 1

Well I’m age 77 and a Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferer, many of my contemporaries have gone via cancer, heart attacks and booze, I lost my little dog back in June. I’ve thrown myself into sorting my above average size garden out, there’s no way that I’m throwing the towel in, the grim reaper will have to come and get me.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mafya said:

My dad has got terminal cancer and my mum has heart problems and difficulties getting about without crutches due to needing a new knee.

we are 4 brothers and 1 sister and unfortunately 2 brothers and the sister are not interested in helping out due to past minor disagreements so it’s just me and my brother.

At beginning of April I stopped working as my dad came out of hospital in March and was given 2 months to live so needed to be there for him.

I don’t think you can rely  on children as you don’t know how they will turn out, my parents were there for me even when I made some stupid mistakes and I have been bought up with the ethos of respecting your parents and being there for them.

Sorry to hear about your mum and dad Mafya.

I'm sure your doing a good job looking after them.. Best wishes pal.

• Like 1