Monkeypox - a new global health emergency

3 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Dr Coleman on Monkeypox:

“A lot of nonsense is being talked about monkeypox which is the hypochondriac’s disease of the moment – even more popular than ‘long covid’.

Given the amount of money that the drug companies seem likely to make from it, the disease should be renamed moneypox.”

Extremely enlightening. 🤣

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Cheers @peak4 - Yep the various CV-19 threads were all rolled into one, and when it got repetitive and silly, admin deleted it, along with a few other 'super-threads that were going round in circles, achieving nothing.

I don't miss the Megathreads/Superthreads for the reasons you've given. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I don't miss the Megathreads/Superthreads for the reasons you've given. 

Nor me, but I sometimes wonder if it would be better if some such threads were just locked from further contributions for the reason I posted above.
I know I've  typed stuff in the past, not just on that topic, and later found it deleted when the whole thread vanished; it's annoying when a lot of time may have been spent identifying verifiable informative links, formatting  & typing etc.

Sometimes I can understand it, as there have been previous comments bordering on illegal, as recent court cases have illustrated.
Even this comment though is in danger of diverting from the topic's heading, so I'll pause there

3 minutes ago, peak4 said:

Nor me, but I sometimes wonder if it would be better if some such threads were just locked from further contributions for the reason I posted above.
I know I've  typed stuff in the past, not just on that topic, and later found it deleted when the whole thread vanished; it's annoying when a lot of time may have been spent identifying verifiable informative links, formatting  & typing etc.

Sometimes I can understand it, as there have been previous comments bordering on illegal, as recent court cases have illustrated.
Even this comment though is in danger of diverting from the topic's heading, so I'll pause there

There's definitely a case to be made for locking such threads after a time.

The going round in circles would cease and the information wouldn't be lost.

Yes, I'd definitely go along with that. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Extremely enlightening. 🤣

Yes considering it's from the chap who tried minimising the risks associated with AIDS etc. 😉
It was the comment I'd linked to earlier in the thread, just regurgitated again; I believe Coleman made it at around the time that there was an emerging problem in the US centred around the gay/queer community.
It's covered here, and shows that said group(s) acted quite responsibly in trying to get vaccinated and minimise spread into the wider population; 

https://www.queerhealth.info/projects/monkeypox

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, peak4 said:

But situations evolve and new information becomes available, sometimes over a long period of time.

Look at the contaminated blood scandal that has just become news again, and that happened  more than 30 years old.

• Like 1