The car you got after passing your test

I went daft for my first car. 

1993 Rover Metro GTi MPi (105ps, one pictured isn't the actual car but it's identical)

Insurance was an eye-watering ...... £725 F/C

tn_Sept_sale_2015_rover_metro_gti_001.jpg

• Like 1

Shortly after I passed my test my dad was given a company car, and so he gave me his old Lada as a Mother’s Day present. It came complete with a starting handle (I kid thee not) for emergencies and an instruction manual which said the components had to be wrapped in slushing compound during the winter months. One needed the muscles of a Russian shot putter to able to turn the wheel. My eldest boy (who was only about 6 years old at the time, but already very much into cars) was so embarrassed by it he actually asked if I really needed to park it on our drive, and couldn’t I park it up the road “outside the Fletcher’s house.”  He’d identified their house as a suitable parking spot because they were the skankiest family on the road. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

1st car was a Daewoo Lanos we called Lionel. 

It was a right heap but it was all mine.

Then had a couple of Saabs (Lisa and Rosie Beth) and both were fantastic cars. I wish I had them still. 

Especially this one ⬇️

IMG-20240815-WA0003.jpg

Wow , that's sleek The D 

I passed in a Viva HC.   

Cyril Ludlam was the name of my instructor. The 'Viva School Of Motoring'.  Smashing bloke. Great at putting people at ease. I swear he was the main reason I passed first time. Yeah I put some effort in, but his sensible outlook and fastidious teachings clinched it.  

But I didn't want a car. I wanted a bike!  First purchase was a Yam DT 175 trail bike.

However, when the wife told me we were getting married I had to give the bike up. So....first car was a previously-owned Avenger. I loved that too. Had three Avengers in a row. Only stopped when you couldn't get them any more.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Nice though 

Was better after I swapped the engine for the 1.8VVC from a Lotus Elise and lowered/stiffened the suspension. 

Around 170bhp, <850kg total weight and cornered like it was on rails. 

• Like 1

My first un was a Triumph Toledo 1300, 2 door. Followed by a Toledo 1500, then a Dolomite 1850HL, then possibly the best car I ever had, a Triumph 2500TC.

My last car, that I sold last year was a Jag XE. Now it’s Shanks’s Pony.

Edited by YorkieontheTyne
  • Like 1