Famous people you have met

I'm lucky. I have met quite a few of my heroes from when I was a lad.

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (separately. Jimmy at the Mott the Hoople reunion gig in London and I went to see United play Wolves at Molineux with Joe Elliott, Robert Plant and my beloved. We won 1-2), the Mael Brothers (Sparks) backstage at Brixton Academy, all of INXS at the Octagon, Tony Currie at the long gone Players Cafe, Alice Cooper and Johnny Depp in Manchester (but that was paid for as a VIP thing. A present from a mate), Jeff Lynne and George Harrison backstage at a Bob Dylan gig in '89. They both signed my pass, the late Mick Ronson in a Chinese Restaurant in Soho and I once asked Siouxsie Soux for her autograph at the old Improvisions Club. She was all ripped tights and slit leather. She oozed sex. This, of course was pre-mobile phones. No proof.  It was about '77. But trust me guys....  Not an encounter I've ever forgotten.

Like I said, I've been lucky.

Don't have any regrets but I once cursed my timing. A couple of ladies came over from the States wanting to do a Def Leppard tour around the city etc. Places where the Leppard legend was forged. The late Dave Kilner, who some will remember fondly from his Radio Hallam days, rang and asked if I wouldn't mind being their guide. One of the places I thought they might like to see was Fairview Studios in Hull where the Lepps recorded their first ever record. I rang the studio about a week ahead and asked if it would be ok for them to come inside and have a look around. The studio manager was fine with it.

Come the day we're wandering around and I spot a Be Bop Deluxe gold disc on the wall. "Oh", I says to the guy, "I love Be Bop Deluxe."

"You're kidding" he says. "You should have come yesterday. Bill Nelson was here all day..".    Arrrgggghhhh!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (separately. Jimmy at the Mott the Hoople reunion gig in London and I went to see United play Wolves at Molineux with Joe Elliott, Robert Plant and my beloved. We won 1-2), the Mael Brothers (Sparks) backstage at Brixton Academy, all of INXS at the Octagon, Tony Currie at the long gone Players Cafe, Alice Cooper and Johnny Depp in Manchester (but that was paid for as a VIP thing. A present from a mate), Jeff Lynne and George Harrison backstage at a Bob Dylan gig in '89. They both signed my pass, the late Mick Ronson in a Chinese Restaurant in Soho and I once asked Siouxsie Soux for her autograph at the old Improvisions Club. She was all ripped tights and slit leather. She oozed sex. This, of course was pre-mobile phones. No proof.  It was about '77. But trust me guys....  Not an encounter I've ever forgotten.

Don't have any regrets but I once cursed my timing. A couple of ladies came over from the States wanting to do a Def Leppard tour around the city etc. Places where the Leppard legend was forged. The late Dave Kilner, who some will remember fondly from his Radio Hallam days, rang and asked if I wouldn't mind being their guide. One of the places I thought they might like to see was Fairview Studios in Hull where the Lepps recorded their first ever record. I rang the studio about a week ahead and asked if it would be ok for them to come inside and have a look around. The studio manager was fine with it.

Come the day we're wandering around and I spot a Be Bop Deluxe gold disc on the wall. "Oh", I says to the guy, "I love Be Bop Deluxe."

"You're kidding" he says. "You should have come yesterday. Bill Nelson was here all day..".    Arrrgggghhhh!

Be Bop Deluxe, Crying to the Sky, and Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape.  Love them, and more...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Be Bop Deluxe, Crying to the Sky, and Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape.  Love them, and more...

Yeah. What a band. The sad thing about Bill Nelson is he actually forgot he was Bill Nelson......

1 minute ago, wearysmith said:

....The sad thing about Bill Nelson is he actually forgot he was Bill Nelson......

Not sure what you mean? It's a funny business, bands that really should have made it didn't, some had short careers despite their talent, and some long.

4 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Not sure what you mean? It's a funny business, bands that really should have made it didn't, some had short careers despite their talent, and some long.

What I mean is he made tremendous rock albums and then split Be Bop to make ambient turgid nonsense for thirty years. The man forgot why he was loved and admired. None of his solo musings have sold like his rock albums did. Still, if he's happy.....

1 minute ago, wearysmith said:

What I mean is he made tremendous rock albums and then split Be Bop to make ambient turgid nonsense for thirty years. The man forgot why he was loved and admired. None of his solo musings have sold like his rock albums did. Still, if he's happy.....

Ah, I'll be honest, I'd completely forgotten that formed the Band Red Noise, but your post prompted the memory. A few minutes ago I looked on YouTube  for Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape and found this nine minute live performance in 2011 and that guitar went right through me in a good way, just like it always did. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

INXS :thumbsup: One of the most under rated bands , in my opinion .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

INXS :thumbsup: One of the most under rated bands , in my opinion .

Too right. Any serious music lovers should have 'The Swing' and 'Listen Like Thieves' in their collection.