One in four children starting school still in nappies

According to this article 25% of kids starting school still aren’t potty trained.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cp3dykw576yo

Here in the Netherlands, before children can start at primary school they need to have a declaration from their nursery stating that they have achieved certain things - can use a pencil, can get dressed by themselves and do up their own shoes etc, and that they are fully potty trained. No child starts school here still in nappies ( unless they have a physical medical condition.) Day care here is so expensive that nobody wants their kid to be kept back in nursery. The requirement for the child to be potty trained really concentrates the parents minds and they make sure the children are out of nappies. Why don’t British schools do the same? 

• Like 3

I think it's an appaling state of affairs that some kids are still in nappies when starting school . Yes , some who have an illness which means they have to wear protection , that is fine . But other than that , it's sheer laziness on the parents behalf . Not on . These kids are being opened up to prospective bullying . It's not fair 

• Like 4

Just now, Pyrotequila said:

Lazy parenting from parents who only pop out kids to stay on benefits?

A lot of the reportage around this seems to blame 'middle class' parents who are "too busy with their careers," to bother about ensuring their child is school ready.

Whatever the cause, it isn't on to expect teachers or other staff to do what parents should do. If the child isn't school ready, then they shouldn't be enrolled. Unless there is a medical need, of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

A lot of the reportage around this seems to blame 'middle class' parents who are "too busy with their careers," to bother about ensuring their child is school ready.

Whatever the cause, it isn't on to expect teachers or other staff to do what parents should do. If the child isn't school ready, then they shouldn't be enrolled. Unless there is a medical need, of course.

I don't think it's just about careers , I think some parents have this misguided belief that it's OK to let children develop how they want 

2 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

I don't think it's just about careers , I think some parents have this misguided belief that it's OK to let children develop how they want 

I suspect you’re correct and it is incredibly misguided.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

I'm sure that's the case, and it's very sloppy parenting. It's also not fair on teaching staff who are employed to teach the curriculum, not clean the mucky bums of parents who are too busy / idle to do the basics. 

I would support schools telling parents if their offspring are not school ready, then they won't be enrolled.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

According to this article 25% of kids starting school still aren’t potty trained.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cp3dykw576yo

Here in the Netherlands, before children can start at primary school they need to have a declaration from their nursery stating that they have achieved certain things - can use a pencil, can get dressed by themselves and do up their own shoes etc, and that they are fully potty trained. No child starts school here still in nappies ( unless they have a physical medical condition.) Day care here is so expensive that nobody wants their kid to be kept back in nursery. The requirement for the child to be potty trained really concentrates the parents minds and they make sure the children are out of nappies. Why don’t British schools do the same? 

It seems to be a relatively new thing/problem. Maybe it will be addressed. Teachers aren't there to change nappies. No way.

• Like 1

I'm reading the report in the Guardian, and it's not just the toilet many can't use books, don't know how to dress themselves and 29 per cent can't eat or drink independently. 1 in 5 parents think children do not need to be toilet trained before starting reception.

I think parents should be given a pack when their offspring is born telling them what they need to do and by when😒

• Like 2