American reacts to Sheffield

I used to love Sheffield and now, I'm not so keen, but I also forgot about things like the views from Crookes and Walkley, and how beautiful our city can be away from Fargate.

But I also recognise that Division street is probably the most aptly named street in the city nowadays.

I really enjoyed that thank you for posting.

Edited by Guest
Added most

11 minutes ago, Uggy said:

I used to love Sheffield and now, I'm not so keen, but I also forgot about things like the views from Crookes and Walkley, and how beautiful our city can be away from Fargate.

But I also recognise that Division street is probably the most aptly named street in the city nowadays.

I really enjoyed that thank you for posting.

Division Street is so called because it divides West Street and The Moor.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Division Street is so called because it divides West Street and The Moor.

West Street was in Sheffield(Town).

South Street (now the Moor) was in Ecclesall Bierlow.

For part of its length from Barkers Pool westward, Division Street was then boundary between Sheffield (Town) and in Ecclesall Bierlow as was Cambridge Street(then Coal Pit Lane), Moor Head and Porter Street (long gone but parallel to the east of the Moor and west of Eyre Street.

So it maybe the division was between Sheffield and Ecclesall.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

West Street was in Sheffield(Town).

South Street (now the Moor) was in Ecclesall Bierlow.

For part of its length from Barkers Pool westward, Division Street was then boundary between Sheffield (Town) and in Ecclesall Bierlow as was Cambridge Street(then Coal Pit Lane), Moor Head and Porter Street (long gone but parallel to the east of the Moor and west of Eyre Street.

So it maybe the division was between Sheffield and Ecclesall.

It was Division Lane in the late 18th Century and renamed Street in the early 19th Century. It supposedly divided the exits out of Town, South and West,.

• Like 2

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting.

I love Sheffield and even though I haven't lived there full-time for about 25 years mainly through work commitments and me falling in love with the wrong women.....it will always be my home.

• Like 1