American reacts to Sheffield

6 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

This was my understanding too.

I do find the naming of Division Street problematic. If Division Street is named for dividing the West and South routes out of Sheffield then why is it so close West Street trends toward and connects to West Street? Also at the time Broad Lane was the main road out of town to the west.

West Street was called Red Lane and was a short street between Bow Street leading to properties called West Field and West Hill(Boots-West Street Market). At this point roads ( now Convent Walk)headed out for Broomspring and Ecclesall.

The building of Glossop Road (the link the Glossop Turnpike in1821) from the route to Crookes at the 'dog leg' outside the Students Union/West End(stables)/former Post Office, it cut through previous routes and renaming of Lanes and Roads.

Division Street was  originally a dead end until Devonshire Street was added to connect it to West Street/Glossop Road.

It was built along the border that divided Sheffield Township and Ecclesall Bierlow -at the time each had different police, magistrates. poor laws, politicians etc.

• Like 2

On 19/08/2024 at 23:43, *_ash_* said:

Good video. I've left now, but it will always be my hometown. 

Me too on both counts. Difference is I miss it badly. Worst choice I ever made in my life. Each to their own. 

• Like 2

Well , I love Sheffield , it's my home City . I was born in Chapeltown , raised for the first 18 months of my life on Deep Lane , with my beloved Grandparents ,& beloved parents while they saved up for a deposit on the house they eventually got on Ingram Road . My roots are deeply embedded in Sheffield , but I am now living in Bradford . To slag one City off is unfair , because no City is perfect at all . So those that don't like Sheffield , if you live in another City , is that perfect , I know Bradford is far from it & so is Leeds ,which is also near me . And London , I wouldn't touch with a barge pole , it's like a massive " No Go Area now 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

And London , I wouldn't touch with a barge pole , it's like a massive " No Go Area now 

Absolutely; I was down there the other week and me and friend were saying how you can't even go there now, and if you do go there you will just get stabbed, mugged, or unappreciated.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Absolutely; I was down there the other week and me and friend were saying how you can't even go there now, and if you do go there you will just get stabbed, mugged, or unappreciated.

Why - I go at least a couple of times a year and have no issues? Agree you have to watch where you go, but that applies in many towns/cities.

39 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Why - I go at least a couple of times a year and have no issues? Agree you have to watch where you go, but that applies in many towns/cities.

😉😏

23 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

London is fine! I visit regularly and have family and friends living there.

There are some dodgy areas, like anywhere, but for the most part is is one of the safest and more pleasant capital cities in the world.

That's just it... 

I travelled and lived in China for 3 months, and East Asia as a whole so far for 18 months, and the 'like anywhere' part doesn't exist here.

I went to China, on my own, went to lots of areas of the country, and whether in the big cities, or in the countryside, I could explore, walk around, night or day and absolutely nothing with regards to trouble or safety. Quite the opposite actually, and my youtube channel shows everything. I record everything. I was welcomed everywhere, even before they knew I could speak Chinese. And when you speak some Chinese with them, they welcome you with open arms, and invite you to eat and drink with them.

Britain isn't safe in comparison. Britain has too many people who we have no idea who they are, and even if they do, the police have some priorities that differ from Asia. There are police on the streets everywhere here. 

You message said 'London is fine' - and that's fair enough... would you allow your teenager to walk home at 3 am even in areas you consider to be fine?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

That's just it... 

I travelled and lived in China for 3 months, and East Asia as a whole so far for 18 months, and the 'like anywhere' part doesn't exist here.

I went to China, on my own, went to lots of areas of the country, and whether in the big cities, or in the countryside, I could explore, walk around, night or day and absolutely nothing with regards to trouble or safety. Quite the opposite actually, and my youtube channel shows everything. I record everything. I was welcomed everywhere, even before they knew I could speak Chinese. And when you speak some Chinese with them, they welcome you with open arms, and invite you to eat and drink with them.

Britain isn't safe in comparison. Britain has too many people who we have no idea who they are, and even if they do, the police have some priorities that differ from Asia. There are police on the streets everywhere here. 

You message said 'London is fine' - and that's fair enough... would you allow your teenager to walk home at 3 am even in areas you consider to be fine?

Cool - share your YouTube! I'd love to see.

Last question: Not my own teenager, but two of my teenage nieces in London do indeed walk home at silly times in the morning and insist they are fine (yes, it does make me nervous personally, but it is what it is!).

8 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Cool - share your YouTube! I'd love to see.

Last question: Not my own teenager, but two of my teenage nieces in London do indeed walk home at silly times in the morning and insist they are fine (yes, it does make me nervous personally, but it is what it is!).

https://www.youtube.com/@AshinAsia :D 

Fair enough, you are ok with them, but nervous. 

I don't have that here. Taiwan, Mainland China, Korea and Japan, all not even a skipped heart beat walking anywhere at night. 

• Like 2