Can you keep Haggis as a pet.

What are haggis? Why would anyone want a pet haggis? What's ...   

Can you keep Haggis as a pet.

I think they look really cute, and would love to own one.

I know their largely restricted to Scotland, but sadly, there is a large trade in the smuggling and illegal export of their eggs.

This has resulted in them being placed on the WWF endangered species list.

If you live in England and are offered "Scotch Eggs" you must report it to your nearest RSPCA shelter.

Also, if a Haggis escapes as far as Yorkshire, it will hit the Yorkshire tea plantations, which are the habitat of the "Wild Yorkshire Puddings" they are a natural predator of the wild Haggis, so they are never found South of Yorkshire.

I don't want to fall foul of the law, but I'd really like to own one.

Has anyone on the Forum owned one of these cute animals, any advice would be welcome.

Thanks a lot........

• Haha 1

Let me put your “mind” at ease Padders. Due to a Haggis’s left legs being shorter than its right ones, it runs around in circles, so should they migrate so far south and head for the tea plantations when they sniff out the tea and head straight for it, they’ll do a swerve and fall into the treacle wells, thus bringing about a new delicacy, toffee haggis.

Lang mae your lumb reek.

Edited by YorkieontheTyne
  • Haha 2

Remember going to the Isle of Mull when I was a child and for the whole week my parents and older brother had me thinking a Haggis was wild beast. They kept saying " look, over there" and I would be trying to spot it for hours on end!!

I suppose it kept me quiet as it rained the whole week.

Hated Haggis ever since.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Remember going to the Isle of Mull when I was a child and for the whole week my parents and older brother had me thinking a Haggis was wild beast. They kept saying " look, over there" and I would be trying to spot it for hours on end!!

I suppose it kept me quiet as it rained the whole week.

Hated Haggis ever since.

They’re very shy elusive creatures Al, that’s probably why you didn’t see any.

1 hour ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Let me put your “mind” at ease Padders. Due to a Haggis’s left legs being shorter than its right ones, it runs around in circles, so should they migrate so far south and head for the tea plantations when they sniff out the tea and head straight for it, they’ll do a swerve and fall into the treacle wells, thus bringing about a new delicacy, toffee haggis.

Lang mae your lumb reek.

I've heard about the leg problem Yorkie.

Apparently the ones that run around the mountains clockwise have shorter legs on the right side, the left running Haggis have legs that are shorter on the left.

Leg lengths do tend to vary as some mountains are more amenable to clockwise running, and others to anti-clockwise.

Some suggest that the leg situation is reversed in Australia as there is a distinct possibility that mountains behave differently down under, but the practical implications of this are uncertain, as the wild Haggis population is so small in Australia for any statistically observations..

Be fun though watching them run around my garden in circles, clockwise or anti-clockwise..

I WANT ONE......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Padders said:

I've heard about the leg problem Yorkie.

Apparently the ones that run around the mountains clockwise have shorter legs on the right side, the left running Haggis have legs that are shorter on the left.

Leg lengths do tend to vary as some mountains are more amenable to clockwise running, and others to anti-clockwise.

Some suggest that the leg situation is reversed in Australia as there is a distinct possibility that mountains behave differently down under, but the practical implications of this are uncertain, as the wild Haggis population is so small in Australia for any statistically observations..

Be fun though watching them run around my garden in circles, clockwise or anti-clockwise..

I WANT ONE......

Thing is Padders, wait till the wind is blowing round the Trossachs, they fall over ever so easily. A local will sidle up to you in the pub and ask if you want a blow job. That’s the colloquial term for a windfall haggis. Check for bruising around the sporran.

As for the Australian haggis, they went over with the convicts and were let loose to run wild. They gather around the billabongs on a full moon, singing such old time classics as Waltzing McTavish.

For some strange reason I have a powerful urge to put a Jimmy Shand record on my gramophone player.

Och eye the noo.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Delbow said:

You can have haggis as a pet, but as they are sociable little creatures you should always have at least two together. 

Hope that helps.

Good point Delbow, however make sure you have them neutered or they’ll breed like er….haggis.