Cinema to return to Crystal Peaks

Crystal Peaks shopping centre in Sheffield is poised to bring back a cinema experience to its visitors, as plans are to be submitted to Sheffield City Council for the creation of a new four-screen cinema within the complex.

The proposal, made on behalf of an independent cinema operator, envisions transforming the former Time Cafe and Clarke’s shoe store units into a two-storey cinema space. The new venue will feature four auditoria, each with a seating capacity of up to 85, offering a more intimate and boutique-style cinema experience.

Crystal Peaks has a history with cinema, having originally housed a 10-screen AMC (later UCI) multiplex cinema that opened in 1988. However, the cinema closed its doors in 2003, and the site was later redeveloped by Sainsbury’s in 2005.

“One of the questions we are most often asked by visitors is when cinema will be returning to Crystal Peaks,” said centre manager Lee Greenwood. “We have been exploring the possibility of bringing cinema back for quite a long time now and believe we now have a project that will meet the needs of all our customers.”

Greenwood also expressed optimism about the planning process, noting, “We have already had extremely encouraging pre-planning conversations with planning officers and are confident that the scheme will meet the requirements of Sheffield Council’s Planning Committee.”

The centre manager revealed that a cinema operator has already been lined up, with detailed plans in place. The aim is to commence work before the end of the year, with the new cinema expected to open by next spring.

This boutique cinema is designed to cater to the Crystal Peaks family audience, offering a variety of show timings that range from mid-week vintage screenings to family-friendly morning shows and the latest blockbuster releases.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

How will the pricing structure of a small independent cinema go down with the Sheffield "ow bleedin much?" brigade? 

Worth saying that the likes of Curzon and The Showroom exist in the city centre.

Don’t know if that will float in a suburban shopping centre, but I guess we’ll see.

1 hour ago, SheffieldForum said:

Worth saying that the likes of Curzon and The Showroom exist in the city centre.

Don’t know if that will float in a suburban shopping centre, but I guess we’ll see.

Hope it’s a success but honestly can’t see how they are going to fit four screens in there . Plus all entrances to Crystal Peaks close about 7.00 . 

5 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Hope it’s a success but honestly can’t see how they are going to fit four screens in there . Plus all entrances to Crystal Peaks close about 7.00 . 

I suspect that access arrangements would be made. 

Had many visits to the old UCI cinema in the first few years after it opened, it was great having a 10 screen place virtually on the doorstep, the numbers dwindled towards the end which I assume led to it's closure but would be good to see something back in its place, Curzon is my go to cinema these days.