'Moorfoot Square': Plans for New Park in Sheffield City Centre

IMG_4550.jpeg

A neglected area of Sheffield city centre could soon be transformed into a vibrant public park if a major demolition programme receives approval. The proposed Moorfoot Square, spanning 1.38 acres, is set to introduce a "high-quality public realm" with greenery, event spaces, play equipment, cycling infrastructure, and a sculpture symbolising Sheffield’s aspirations, according to council documents.

The park is a key element of a larger redevelopment plan for the area, which includes the construction of 2,180 new flats. This development targets "young professionals" and includes the conversion of the council's Moorfoot office building to accommodate 714 of the new units.

The new park would be bounded by South Lane, Cumberland Street, and the Moorfoot building. However, to make way for Moorfoot Square, an entire city block currently occupied by several businesses, including Dempseys LGBTQ+ Bar & Club and El Paso Mexican restaurant, would need to be demolished.

In a recent article, Sheffield City Council leader Tom Hunt highlighted the importance of the Moorfoot area as part of the city’s broader housing strategy. He stated, “We are developing plans for three new neighbourhoods at Neepsend and Furnace Hill, Moorfoot and around the station. They will be neighbourhoods for all, with affordable homes, public transport, social infrastructure like healthcare, and green spaces planned in from the beginning.”

The proposed Moorfoot Square would be comparable in size to the recently completed Pound’s Park on Wellington Street, further enhancing Sheffield’s commitment to green urban spaces.

Councillor Ben Miskell, chair of the council’s transport, regeneration and climate policy committee, emphasised that these plans are still in the early stages. “Ideas for this part of the city centre are at a very early stage, and the images are artists’ impressions. They provide a very early indication of what the area could look like,” he said.

7410efb1-51b1-4500-8205-a4f6293ff059_1587x1002.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Related previous thread:

'Related'

Or, the exact same thread, same masterplan, same vague comments from leaders. Can't see any new details or progression.

In fact, I'm not sure I understand why The Star have even run a story to this end today - just a slow one?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

'Related'

Or, the exact same thread, same masterplan, same vague comments from leaders. Can't see any new details or progression.

In fact, I'm not sure I understand why The Star have even run a story to this end today - just a slow one?

Because 'The Star' relies on SCC press releases for what little of possible interest it prints?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

SF would you happen to know if Sheffield City Council have any plans for a new LGBTQ+ quarter should Dempseys get flattened?

Does Dempseys on its own count as a quarter? I'd have thought ¹/¹⁶ at most. It does feel odd that this is the best Sheffield can do in terms of LGBTQ+ venues, though there's likely more I don't know about

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Does Dempseys on its own count as a quarter? I'd have thought ¹/¹⁶ at most. It does feel odd that this is the best Sheffield can do in terms of LGBTQ+ venues, though there's likely more I don't know about

There use to be another round the corner which is now a speed garage nightclub after numerous run ins with SCC Licensing and SYP, and none of the other promised premises ever came to fruition. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

Not heard anything at all. 

To add to this, last I knew also, Dempsey’s hadn’t heard anything either… so nobody has informed the businesses that their buildings may be compulsory bought and demolished (to my knowledge).