'Moorfoot Square': Plans for New Park in Sheffield City Centre

7 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

To add to this, last I knew also, Dempsey’s hadn’t heard anything either… so nobody has informed the businesses that their buildings may be compulsory bought and demolished (to my knowledge).

No  surprise there, at all.

13 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

To add to this, last I knew also, Dempsey’s hadn’t heard anything either… so nobody has informed the businesses that their buildings may be compulsory bought and demolished (to my knowledge).

I do know that when the seven stones project for the Moor about 20 years ago was being talked about, it was an open secret that the land would be compulsory bought and Dempseys was going to be flattened to make way for the development. Obviously with the financial crash it didn't happen....

16 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I do know that when the seven stones project for the Moor about 20 years ago was being talked about, it was an open secret that the land would be compulsory bought and Dempseys was going to be flattened to make way for the development. Obviously with the financial crash it didn't happen....

Sevenstone was the shopping centre proposal located around the John Lewis building, Burgess/Cross Burgess/Cambridge Streets. As you say, that never happened due to the crash, and a following masterplan 'New Retail Quarter' never happened in earnest either. Heart of the City 2 ultimately replaced both those previous masterplans and that has mostly come to fruition with Cambridge Street Collective and surrounding buildings (though further stages are yet to happen).

There were a series of large masterplans for The Moor released around the same time mid-00s, but unrelated to Sevenstone. Those plans have slowly changed and materialised over time (The Light/Primark, the new market, H&M building at the top etc).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

There is nothing to know. Everything in this thread & article is just a flashy vision, part of local plan guidance that still hasn't actually been adopted.

The buildings down there are gash so rest-assured that they will one day be demolished. But it could be years before that ever happens.

Also, if Dempseys are merely tenants then it's not for them to know until the day their lease is not renewed by either the current owners or the Council if they were the new owners.

2 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

There is nothing to know. Everything in this thread & article is just a flashy vision, part of local plan guidance that still hasn't actually been adopted.

The buildings down there are gash so rest-assured that they will one day be demolished. But it could be years before that ever happens.

Also, if Dempseys are merely tenants then it's not for them to know until the day their lease is not renewed by either the current owners or the Council if they were the new owners.

Fair points. 👍