Trauma, In Its Many Forms. Share, if you like.

When I was a late teenager my Dad left the family home and started living in his rented one room workplace/office. At some point I was due to meet him the next day, and on the night before he phoned me to say goodnight, he didn't seem quite normal, sort of far away and sleepy. I noticed it I didn't think too much about it until the morning...

In the morning I phoned him to say that I was on my way to meet him and he didn't answer the phone, nor after other attempts to contact him by phone. 
I got the feeling that something was wrong and in a big way, I selected several tools to attempt a break into his workplace, walked into town and took the bus, a 20 minute ride  to where he lived/worked.

He didn't answer the door, so the first thing I tried was inserting a sheet of newspaper under the door and pushing a screwdriver into the mortice lock in the hope that there was a key left in the lock that could be pushed out. There was, and it pushed out and fell onto the newspaper. I pulled through on the newspaper to the outside, picked up the key and unlocked the door. Lucky or what...

On entering I found my Dad on the floor. Unconscious and unable to be woken. He had peed his trousers. It was shocking to see. I went to a nearby phone box and dialled 999 for the ambulance. On returning to his workplace I noticed signs of vomiting up pills in the sink. He had overdosed then maybe changed his mind hence the pills in the sink. 

Honestly, I think I still hold some trauma about this! I don't think of it often but it's never It's never left me.

• Sad 2

Losing  a good friend to suicide two years ago almost broke me. Still can't truly accept he's gone. He was a good man who deserved better. I've lost family to cancer, old age, pneumonia but losing a friend in such a way is more difficult to accept for some reason. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

OMG Draggle , that must have been so traumatic for you . Good job you followed your gut instinct & went equipped .  Hope he was OK 

My Dad recovered and spent some time in a Psychiatric hospital  under medication as was the case back then.  He came back home after being discharged because he needed to be looked after. About a year later a bloke knocked on our door and told me and Mum that My Dad had been 'seeing' his Wife. About a week later I heard a row downstairs, my Dad saying that he was leaving and my Mum begging him to stay, for me at least. I heard him say I'd be O.K. He didn't say goodbye.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Draggletail said:

My Dad recovered and spent some time in a Psychiatric hospital  under medication as was the case back then.  He came back home after being discharged because he needed to be looked after. About a year later a bloke knocked on our door and told me and Mum that My Dad had been 'seeing' his Wife. About a week later I heard a row downstairs, my Dad saying that he was leaving and my Mum begging him to stay, for me at least. I heard him say I'd be O.K. He didn't say goodbye.

Are you in contact?

Finding your dad like that must have been awful. Knowing he’d tried to take his own life must have been desperately hard to come to terms with.

My own baggage - a miscarriage on my 30th birthday.  I have 3 kids but I can’t forget the one I lost. At family gatherings there will always be a little face missing at the table.  And holding my dad’s hand and looking into his eyes as he died, his fingers curling with pain and froth coming out of his mouth. It’s an image I’ll never get out of my head. 

• Sad 3