What do influencers actually do? Is it a viable career?

I have a young relative who tells me she's going to be an 'Influencer' when she leaves school.

I know they blog on social media, but how do they make a working income from it?

Do they add anything to national productivity?

Is it really a viable career these days, or is it just more wishful thinking?

What do you think?

Is she doing it now? Isn't it a little like wanting to become a famous singer. 

Don't we all influence others, by posting on here. But to earn a living from it will take years to build up a following. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

They get paid to promote things.  If you have a YouTube account with lots of subscribers you can get money from advertising.

And that's why the reviews they give are a load of tosh.

If you're getting paid to review something you're not going to give honest opinions if it's crap, because then the company will want their money back.

• Like 1

I've just Googled 'How many social influencers are there?'   Apparently, there are 64 million of them on Instagram alone.  So they all must be influencing each other & following each other. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Is she doing it now? Isn't it a little like wanting to become a famous singer. 

Don't we all influence others, by posting on here. But to earn a living from it will take years to build up a following. 

Cloud cuckoo land.    I think her parent/parents need to sit down and have a talk with her.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, francypants said:

Cloud cuckoo land.    I think her parent/parents need to sit down and have a talk with her.

Well said fancypants. There was an article on some “news” website the other week. I can’t recall the full details but it involved a young woman having been caught out doing something stupid. However, when interviewed she described herself as an influencer and scientist! 
Cloud cuckoo land extraordinaire.

• Haha 1

You can also bet your bottom dollar that many of these "influencers" will not be paying into a private pension, nothing lasts for ever and once the bubble bursts they will be left with no forward plan. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You can also bet your bottom dollar that many of these "influencers" will not be paying into a private pension, nothing lasts for ever and once the bubble bursts they will be left with no forward plan. 

Usually the next step forward is showing their private parts for money.