New Alzheimers drug has been licensed.

3 minutes ago, crookesey said:

It might have been better to keep quiet about it until (a) is proven to work and (b) is affordable, all that has been achieved is to highlight that there is a two tier health service, if we didn’t already know that.

It's  already been approved to be used in the USA, Japan and China so it's impossible to keep quiet about it. 

11 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

It's  already been approved to be used in the USA, Japan and China so it's impossible to keep quiet about it. 

I actually included them when I said ‘might have been better to keep quiet about it’.

2 hours ago, High Chaparral said:

£20,000 a year was quoted for each person.  

Not many pensioners have £20,000 a year left over from their miserable pension.

Getting old is expensive enough already.

Let's  hope a cheap Euthanasia pill will be available as an alternative. 

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I actually included them when I said ‘might have been better to keep quiet about it’.

There is too much money involved for the drug company to keep quiet about it. The share price will increase by publicity of this break through 

3 minutes ago, High Chaparral said:

There is too much money involved for the drug company to keep quiet about it. The share price will increase by publicity of this break through 

Not if the great unwashed are not queuing up for it.

41 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Not many pensioners have £20,000 a year left over from their miserable pension.

Getting old is expensive enough already.

Let's  hope a cheap Euthanasia pill will be available as an alternative. 

The NHS is looking at 27 other similar drugs currently in advance trials.  It is good news that a break through has been made.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Considering Alzheimers / dementia is the biggest (slow and distressing) killer of old people, and arguably the most feared of all the debilitating illnesses

Now it is, because of other medical advancements have made us live longer. 

100 years ago, you would probably be dead at 35 or 40. 

Then we worked out more things.

The latest real danger to life to be conquered to a much great extent is cancer.

Dementia is the next one. And hopefully this one will be helped in future. 

Currently my gf's dog is on a 6 year test for human consumption of a dementia drug. New medication doesn't come quickly. The price of things that you mention is just the usual thing you type. Everything that is new, costs of lot of money. A new 27 inch TV in 1980 would cost a years wage. 

You never seem to grasp this concept of new things. And in fact, if it wasn't for rich people paying for these things (maybe in desperation) , then us 'poor people' would never have a chance to use them when they are proven to work. 

• Like 1

Just now, High Chaparral said:

The NHS is looking at 27 other similar drugs currently in advance trials.  It is good news that a break through has been made.

I hope you're right. But time is of the essence. Are we going to be waiting indefinitely for the perfect cure that will never exist?

• SheffieldForum changed the title to New Alzheimers drug has been licensed.

There is a lot of evidence that diet and exercise have a big impact on dementia onset, as well as on a lot of other serious diseases like CHD etc.

So, in a sense, the solution already is available, for those willing to change their eating and lifestyle.