New Alzheimers drug has been licensed.

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

Biggest risk factor for Alzheimers is age,

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/who-gets-alzheimers-disease

"Age is the biggest risk factor for Alzheimer’s, as it is for most types of dementia. This means that a person is more likely to get Alzheimer’s as they get older. Above the age of 65, a person’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s doubles about every five years."

Now all we need to do is summat to stop us getting older,

That would be nice...

The oldest person (in UK?) has just died at an authenticated 117 years old. 

Wow. I wonder what genetics caused that. Why do people age at a different rate and in different ways?

We need to find out more about ageing altogether.

It's still much of a mystery, yet it happens to every single person on Earth.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

That would be nice...

The oldest person (in UK?) has just died at an authenticated 117 years old. 

Wow. I wonder what genetics caused that. Why do people age at a different rate and in different ways?

We need to find out more about ageing altogether.

It's still much of a mystery, yet it happens to every single person on Earth.

In the World Anna.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

Biggest risk factor for Alzheimers is age,

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/who-gets-alzheimers-disease

"Age is the biggest risk factor for Alzheimer’s, as it is for most types of dementia. This means that a person is more likely to get Alzheimer’s as they get older. Above the age of 65, a person’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s doubles about every five years."

Now all we need to do is summat to stop us getting older,

There was something in the news the other day about that actually, something has been found that extends the life of mice by 25%.  Healthier, stronger and less chance of developing cancer as they age.

Science fiction is starting to become science fact.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gr3x3xkno

20 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

There is a lot of evidence that diet and exercise have a big impact on dementia onset, as well as on a lot of other serious diseases like CHD etc.

So, in a sense, the solution already is available, for those willing to change their eating and lifestyle.

I'm all for doing what you can to keep fit and look after yourself, and it can certainly help in certain cases, but some types of dementia also seem to attack indiscriminately. I know of very active people who have it, and you only have to think of some of the famous people like Margaret Thatcher and Prunella Scales who also have it.

There are also different types of dementia which don't all react in the same way.  I worry that old people themselves will be 'blamed' for having it as if it was all their own fault.

Any medication that can help with the curse of dementia is sorely needed, and fast.  

21 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Can you expand on that a bit more ash? 👍

I don't really know much about it. The dog has Alzheimer's, he's very old dog wise, 18 yo. She said he seems better since taking the drugs. I think he's been on them 2 years. Apparently the testing takes 6 years before use on humans.

This is him - he's often obviously confused, deaf, blind in one eye, but knows food!

37 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I don't really know much about it. The dog has Alzheimer's, he's very old dog wise, 18 yo. She said he seems better since taking the drugs. I think he's been on them 2 years. Apparently the testing takes 6 years before use on humans.

This is him - he's often obviously confused, deaf, blind in one eye, but knows food!

That little Dog does seem to still have good quality of life! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Draggletail said:

That little Dog does seem to still have good quality of life! 

Is pizza good for dogs, they just like what we eat, although it may be bad for them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Is pizza good for dogs, they just like what we eat, although it may be bad for them.

I do agree, it was just that despite its illnesses it just seems to have a zest for life!