I don’t eat junk food, never have. I cook everything from scratch using loads of fresh fruit and veg, and my 3 sons all do the same, having been brought up that way. Having said that we’re more fortunate than most. None of us are scrimping and saving, we have enough time to cook, and we all have decent well equipped kitchens. If some poor mum is working 3 jobs for a pittance and living in a cramped room with just a microwave, who I am to judge her. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

I don’t eat junk food, never have. I cook everything from scratch using loads of fresh fruit and veg, and my 3 sons all do the same, having been brought up that way. Having said that we’re more fortunate than most. None of us are scrimping and saving, we have enough time to cook, and we all have decent well equipped kitchens. If some poor mum is working 3 jobs for a pittance and living in a cramped room with just a microwave, who I am to judge her. 

Soz ,Nigella  😀

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Do you eat a load of junk food like Macdonalds ? . I can't think of anything worse than eating junk like this . As far as I can see , there are very few healthy ingredients . No wonder , there are so many obese people around , worse still children .  Do you think this is the parents fault ?  

Compared to what though? 

It's a burger and fries. A beef patty and fried potatoes.  In terms of the raw ingredients, it's probably not a much far apart from the sorts of things that people are cooking in their homes everyday.   It's still the same basic makeup of a £35 burger and fries being served in some Michelin star restaurant.

Of course it's not the healthiest food in the world, but then again it doesn't claim to be. 

Very few people are regularly cooking from complete scratch at home. Even less of those people are going to be buying straight from 'the farm'. In these modern times, nearly all of the food we buy has a heavy amounts of processing.  In fact, cutting out any inevitable rose tinted delusion, it has in reality been that way since post wartime. 

I bet if you took the raw basic ingredients in most junk food meals, there would be massive amounts of crossover with what's been sold in the supermarkets, delish, greengrocers and butchers. Even the poshest stores and the packets with things like finest, premium, extra special, taste the difference, organic...

Most doctors will say diet is about moderation. It's quite right that no one's going to do well from eating so called junk food everyday but equally, I doubt gorging on free range, freshly slaughtered, skinless, extra lean chicken and a pile of cale everyday will be good for the body either.

There seems to be a lot of food snobbery over cheap fast food, but take a look at the menu in some artisan gastro pub or Michelin restaurant  or private estate farm shop . Look at the rich game and meat based dishes, the gargantuan portions filled with pure butter sauces, laced with alcohol, cream and spices.  You could get gout just looking at it. 

At the end of the day, life is short and there's nothing wrong with the occasional treat in moderation. It's convenient and quick and tasty. A lot of our longevity is in our genes  no matter how desperate people try and be to be healthy. You could have someone who is super fit, eats nothing but organic vegan food exercising regular and still snuffs it in their 60s with cancer.  On the other hand, you could have a long-term smoker, heavy drinker, eating nothing but pies living into their '90s.

• Like 3

Fully agree, especially the food snobbery,  like I said once in a while (moderation)

Having said that I did notice two rather rotund girls in M&S today,  pondering if they could fit into a stylish sweater,  they disappeared

and I bought one.😁

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Do you eat a load of junk food like Macdonalds ? . I can't think of anything worse than eating junk like this . As far as I can see , there are very few healthy ingredients . No wonder , there are so many obese people around , worse still children .  Do you think this is the parents fault ?  

Its everyones fault. The Government should do more.

Most food is junk food, pies, pasties, super-processed food, it makes it easier to eat

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Most food is junk food, pies, pasties, super-processed food, it makes it easier to eat

You seem a great fan of state intervention in many areas - why?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Easy for lazy people to eat.  Should the government outlaw lazy people?