"Safety is paramount": Barriers in place on Sheffield party street with plans to remove parking bays

"Safety is paramount": Barriers in place on Sheffield party street with plans to remove parking bays in 2025

Temporary barriers have been placed outside bars on a Sheffield city centre party street to improve safety by preventing people on nights out walking out into the street, a senior councillor has said.

Parking bays outside venues like Molly Malones and Tiger Works on West Street, Sheffield, meant space outside for revellers on foot was at a premium, with party-goers spilling out into the street - which is often busy with taxis, private hire cars and trams.

Councillor Minesh Parekh, deputy chair of the Waste and Street Scene Policy committee at Sheffield City Council, said: “Safety is paramount and this is why barriers have been installed outside night-time venues at this location on West Street.

“To improve safety, discussions between city transport colleagues, South Yorkshire Police and the council’s licensing team have resulted in the police placing barriers on the roadside of the parking bays to create a wider space for people to congregate outside venues.”

Your thoughts?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/barriers-in-place-on-west-street-sheffield-with-plans-to-remove-parking-bays-in-2025-4755277?fbclid=IwY2xjawE26nBleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHXtOtL2sh6YWvT-i-5cBWw2sKudpX8oYJ6zIxJo0eKCo2aaLFU9NaXL8-Q_aem_lOJgE7j0lD9mKmR3jO4PgA

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Shouldn't get flaming drunk , then they wouldn't wander out . 🤣. Not that I have ever done that when I used to go up West street  😇

Quite. And I have never been so drunk  that I fell asleep in the middle of the roundabout at the bottom of Granville Road either. 

Must have been someone who looked like me because I'm a good boy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Quite. And I have never been so drunk  that I fell asleep in the middle of the roundabout at the bottom of Granville Road either. 

Must have been someone who looked like me because I'm a good boy. 

AHA The D , so that was you at bottom of Granville , that my brother bumped into & ended up on his back in a rose bush , & couldn't get up . 🤣. Mind you 14 bottles of Gold Label he had probably impaired his eye sight , so didn't see you I presume 😅

• Haha 2

Just now, lavery549@yahoo said:

AHA The D , so that was you at bottom of Granville , that my brother bumped into & ended up on his back in a rose bush , & couldn't get up . 🤣. Mind you 14 bottles of Gold Label he had probably impaired his eye sight , so didn't see you I presume 😅

If it was me I was too drunk to remember it 😬🤣🤣

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Shouldn't get flaming drunk , then they wouldn't wander out . 🤣. Not that I have ever done that when I used to go up West street  😇

The West Street Wobble........ Happy Daze...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1