"Safety is paramount": Barriers in place on Sheffield party street with plans to remove parking bays

On 24/08/2024 at 17:35, The_DADDY said:

"Safety is paramount": Barriers in place on Sheffield party street with plans to remove parking bays in 2025

Temporary barriers have been placed outside bars on a Sheffield city centre party street to improve safety by preventing people on nights out walking out into the street, a senior councillor has said.

Parking bays outside venues like Molly Malones and Tiger Works on West Street, Sheffield, meant space outside for revellers on foot was at a premium, with party-goers spilling out into the street - which is often busy with taxis, private hire cars and trams.

Councillor Minesh Parekh, deputy chair of the Waste and Street Scene Policy committee at Sheffield City Council, said: “Safety is paramount and this is why barriers have been installed outside night-time venues at this location on West Street.

“To improve safety, discussions between city transport colleagues, South Yorkshire Police and the council’s licensing team have resulted in the police placing barriers on the roadside of the parking bays to create a wider space for people to congregate outside venues.”

Your thoughts?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/barriers-in-place-on-west-street-sheffield-with-plans-to-remove-parking-bays-in-2025-4755277?fbclid=IwY2xjawE26nBleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHXtOtL2sh6YWvT-i-5cBWw2sKudpX8oYJ6zIxJo0eKCo2aaLFU9NaXL8-Q_aem_lOJgE7j0lD9mKmR3jO4PgA

oh my god the Nanny state has gone mad !! more pandering to the wet and snowflakes and who is footing the bill??? bloody tax payer again!!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

oh my god the Nanny state has gone mad !! more pandering to the wet and snowflakes and who is footing the bill??? bloody tax payer again!!

Very probably 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SheffieldForum said:

There’s plenty of places nearby for taxis to stop.

Of which they rarely use, choosing to obstructed other road users instead. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's a bit 'Nanny State' isn't it. I mean isn't University partly about learning to be independent and responsible?

Having said that, if I was a parent of a Fresher, I think 'd be grateful for any safety measures the authorities could impose... 

Well as someone who's often championing expanding state owned this...  state run that... state-funded other.... you should be right behind it. 

At the end of the day, if it's 'the state' paying for someone's treatment and healthcare after an accident occurs, why shouldn't it be 'the state' taking increased steps to prevent one from happening. 

Also like how you've done some nice wild assumption that these people needing safety barriers are all young irresponsible university graduates. Last time I checked it's not just middle class young uni students drinking in city bars. Plenty of older salt of the earth working class lowly educated  people's go drinking in city bars too. 

Anyone is capable of having one too many and stepping a bit too close to a moving car.  Anyone is more than capable of innocently getting too close to the edge of the payment because it's full with other people or they are queueing up waiting to get in somewhere.

People don't cry nanny state when the football matches temporarily close off part of a road to deal with a crowd. Most adults are perfectly capable of crossing a road, but people don't cry nanny state when they install crossings at specific busy locations or junctions. Most adults are perfectly capable of walking along the platform without plummeting to their death, but they don't cry nanny state when they put up a balcony or balustrade edging. 

It's just sensible precautions.

• Like 1

I think you must wait for my posts for the prime purpose of disagreeing with them.

I am not against health and safety per se, but the way I read it, this isn't a permanent feature, but for the added influx of 'partygoers' ie' the University students, particularly the new ones coming to Sheffield for the first time and most likely to 'go off the rails' literally, until they calm down and get used to things.  

That's a great deal different from my disliking the privatisation of our UK Utilities and infrastructure, which I believe should be in British hands or we subject ourselves to the control, vagaries and hostilities of foreign countries. That's an entirely different argument.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I think you must wait for my posts for the prime purpose of disagreeing with them.

I am not against health and safety per se, but the way I read it, this isn't a permanent feature, but for the added influx of 'partygoers' ie' the University students, particularly the new ones coming to Sheffield for the first time and most likely to 'go off the rails' literally, until they calm down and get used to things.  

That's a great deal different from my disliking the privatisation of our UK Utilities and infrastructure, which I believe should be in British hands or we subject ourselves to the control, vagaries and hostilities of foreign countries. That's an entirely different argument.  

Not particularly targeting you. You just happen to come up with many opinions that I disagree with. I also will admit that when people use lazy tropes like "nanny state" it does grind my gears. 

There is not a single thing in the original article that mentions university students or newcomers to the city or suggests that those are sorts of people are more likely to 'go off the rails whilst they get used to things'. All of that is complete stereotyping and wild assumption that you have created in your head - which personally I find quite insulting to uni students as if supposedly lesser educated working class older drinkers are automatically much more responsible and free from such behaviour.   Well clearly they aren't.  They go drinking in city bars. They are just as capable of getting too drunk and walking out into the road. They are just as capable as innocently being forced off the pavement because there's no room - so why they need to be singling out?

Yes the barriers are temporary.  But as it sets out in the article - that is only an interim thing whilst they undertake permanent works to widen out the pavements, on the cards for next year. 

My comments about the state are slightly in jest given your posting history on this forum. However, the basic principle doesn't change. People can't have it both ways. You are always banging on about the NHS funding, more and more things should be put into the state's hands rather than those greedy corporations. Well, is it such a wild arguement to suggest that if taxpayer monies are funding state healthcare to fix people once they've been injured, taxpayer monies could be more wisely spent  to prevent accidents happening in the first place.   

Sometimes that easy target criticism of "nanny state" might not always be justified when it's the same state with having to pay to deal with the consequences.  

• Like 1

On 29/08/2024 at 07:54, Resident said:

Of which they rarely use, choosing to obstructed other road users instead. 

So you mean they don't use them now? So what difference will it make if the bays are no longer available?

1 minute ago, AndrewC said:

So you mean they don't use them now? So what difference will it make if the bays are no longer available?

Meaning that they rarely use the spaces designated for them, choosing to park on pavements, bus stops etc. 

When the barriers go in they'll just stop in the road. 

• Like 1