"Safety is paramount": Barriers in place on Sheffield party street with plans to remove parking bays

Just now, Resident said:

Meaning that they rarely use the spaces designated for them, choosing to park on pavements, bus stops etc. 

When the barriers go in they'll just stop in the road. 

From the picture it looks like there are no gaps in the barriers, so it seems unlikely any one will be trying to flag a taxi there, or that a taxi will literally stop on the road alongside those barriers, since there are no gaps for easy access/egress between taxi an pavement. More likely people in that area will walk out of it at either end and flag a taxi elsewhere.

Anyway, if it's really that late and that busy, is it really the end of the world? Taxis already stop in the middle of West Street picking people up. It's the nature of the late night game, surely?

Everyone keeps bangin on about how important nature is and how important it is to support it, then we get a perfectly good means of natural selection and the council put barriers up to stop it.

Disgusted Dore.

In my younger days in the 1960’s we used to meet up in pubs prior to moving on to clubs and discos, The small quantity of beer consumed in the pub was the only decent drink that we had as the beer in the clubs/discos was undrinkable, so we stuck to soft drinks. The times that I did consume more than I could handle was at parties in friends homes when I wasn’t driving.

As I got older I moved onto pubs, but for the company rather than the drink, my local is now flats, so I content myself with a few beers at home.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2024 at 02:35, The_DADDY said:

"Safety is paramount": Barriers in place on Sheffield party street with plans to remove parking bays in 2025

Temporary barriers have been placed outside bars on a Sheffield city centre party street to improve safety by preventing people on nights out walking out into the street, a senior councillor has said.

Parking bays outside venues like Molly Malones and Tiger Works on West Street, Sheffield, meant space outside for revellers on foot was at a premium, with party-goers spilling out into the street - which is often busy with taxis, private hire cars and trams.

Councillor Minesh Parekh, deputy chair of the Waste and Street Scene Policy committee at Sheffield City Council, said: “Safety is paramount and this is why barriers have been installed outside night-time venues at this location on West Street.

“To improve safety, discussions between city transport colleagues, South Yorkshire Police and the council’s licensing team have resulted in the police placing barriers on the roadside of the parking bays to create a wider space for people to congregate outside venues.”

Your thoughts?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/barriers-in-place-on-west-street-sheffield-with-plans-to-remove-parking-bays-in-2025-4755277?fbclid=IwY2xjawE26nBleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHXtOtL2sh6YWvT-i-5cBWw2sKudpX8oYJ6zIxJo0eKCo2aaLFU9NaXL8-Q_aem_lOJgE7j0lD9mKmR3jO4PgA

I wondered what that was all about.

Looks grim.

• Like 2