Men Of The Forum - Do You Shave Your Face? Are You Clean Shaven, Bearded Or Stubble?

3 hours ago, echo beach said:

I’m like you crookesey, shave every couple of days or when I get to look too much like George Clooney!😆

echo.

My wife saw your post and asked if I could set up a meet when you’re next having a Clooney moment, I wouldn’t recommend it though.😉

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Padders said:

Many years ago I was in Turkey (Marmaris)

We were sat in a bar having a drink, next door to the bar was a Turkish barbers.

The barber came out of his shop and spoke to me,  "You very handsome man, I give you shave"

Thanks I said, but I'm not bothered.

"I make you feel younger, I give you shave"

I didn't want a shave, I was already clean shaven, but he persisted.

Anyway, we were on holiday and it was only about a quid, so I thought I'll let him give me a shave just for a laugh, and get rid of him.

Bloomin Ek.

Talk about a close shave.

Hot towel on mi mug, then a dollop of foam, and out came the cut throat razor.

When he'd finished, he produced a lighter, flicked the switch, and WHOOSH a flash of flame into mi ears.

I'll tell you what, he was right, I felt years younger, it was an incredible shave, I spent the rest of the day stroking my chin.

Worth every penny...

With you on this Padders.

There's nothing quite like a Turkish shave. 

If I'm feeling flush I'll treat myself and pop down to my regular barbers on London Road and have a shave with a cut throat. I really admire the skill of the guys who do it. If I tried to shave myself with a cut throat razor I'd end up looking like Fredddy Krueger.

I shave myself once a week, just simply out of habit. When I was younger if I shaved anymore than once a week, I would get terrible shaving rash on my neck. Thankfully being fair, I can get away with not shaving often

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

I started work in Sheffield City Centre in 1962, I witnessed many businessmen  in barbers shops having their early morning shave with a cut throat razor.

Not just businessmen. My dad told me that one of his cousins once cut Picasso’s hair in Sheffield, and also did the King of Norway. I think that was in the 50’s though

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

Not just businessmen. My dad told me that one of his cousins once cut Picasso’s hair in Sheffield, and also did the King of Norway. I think that was in the 50’s though

That’s interesting because these guys don’t have a clue who they’re dealing with, however hair is one thing whilst face is somewhat different.

2 hours ago, crookesey said:

My wife saw your post and asked if I could set up a meet when you’re next having a Clooney moment, I wouldn’t recommend it though.😉

Many thanks for the offer crookesey but I think your wife might be a tad disappointed!

I’ve likened myself to many folks over the years.

As a young boy I looked like John Sissons the news broadcaster who died in 2019.

See if you can locate a photo on line of a group of about 10 kids from Dovedale Junior School in Liverpool on a trip to the Isle of Man in 1951. They’re paddling and as well as him there is John Lennon, Jimmy Tarbuck and Brian Labone the Everton footballer.

What a coincidence to have in one class photo 4 kids who were to become famous.

At high school I was told by a mate that I was the second best looking lad in the class. I bought him a few pints later on! Mind you looking back the rest were a motley bunch.
As I got older I was likened to Richard Todd the actor and also later to Prince Andrew🤨

but in reality I look just like me, ageing and not too gracefully. A bit like George but only a bit.😆 

I go into the barbers and ask for a cut to make me look like George Clooney and the usual reply is “we’ll do our best but can’t perform miracles!”

echo.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Draggletail said:

Additional question - are you attracted to bearded, stubbled or clean shaven faces, or doesn't it matter?

It's not the beard, it's the man.  Mostly. 

Some beards are intrinsically bad: the hipster beard; the overly-groomed plus man bun beard; the Noel Edmonds beard.  But others are part of an overall annoyance package that become bad in context: the 'pipe down and let me tell you why I'm a better feminist than you' woke bro beard; the JD Vance/Trump Jr douche bro beard, and so on.

Stubble is good.  But there again, it depends.  Is it the 'I'm so damn manly and so busy doing manly men things that I didn't get around to shaving this morning' stubble?  Or is it the lazy scratter can't be arsed stubble?

An attractive man (definitions of which vary, obviously) plus personality will be attractive even with an otherwise undesirable beard.  Unless it's the hipster beard.  Or has a man bun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2