Should We Stop Giving Foreign Aid?

Often when topics like this come up, so does "Charity Begins at home" or something similar.
The phrase dates back a few hundred years to an English author Sir Thomas Browne in his work Religio Medici 1642 Wiki link

The longer full quote seems to have a little more to it then many folk appreciate.
The whole expression, with explanatory notes for those analysing it for course work, follows here;  eNotes

https://www.enotes.com/topics/religio-medici/quotes

"Charity Begins At Home"
Context: Charity, says Browne, is much more than mere almsgiving; there are almost as many forms of charity as there are of doing good, and speaking well of others is one of them.

How many, he says, offend against charity by characterizing an entire people by a single word: the foolish French or the proud Spanish.

With one word we wound thousands.

Browne says that he is not distressed to see people in their fits of folly and madness, because we must have vices if we are to have the corresponding virtues.

And, indeed, no man can justly censure or condemn another, because no man can know another.

His acquaintances think less of him than he himself does, and his friends more.

Furthermore, no man can judge another, because no man knows himself.

But how, he asks, can we expect charity towards others when we are uncharitable towards ourselves?

Every man is his own fate and cuts the thread of his own life as Atropos, the Fate of Greek mythology, is supposed to do.  [Wiki link, for Atropos, one of the three fates; not in eNotes]

The passage in Browne express it thus:

. . . But how shall we expect charity towards others, when we are uncharitable to ourselves? "Charity begins at home," is the voice of the world; yet is every man his greatest enemy, and, as it were, his own executioner.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

We in the UK live like lords even the poorest among us , 

It is a different matter in other parts of the Planet , Some people have no running water , others not much food , others under  bent Leaders and Governments, Some women are little more than slaves having to cover up all parts of their bodies not being allowed education or a choice in who to marry etc.

Some kids in mostly African countries living with blindness or deformity , no one cares for them inc the corrupt so called leaders.

If a quid or two of my meagre O A pension can help then i will give it just the same as do for a homeless person sat on a pavement in Town,(take a walk in their life before you jump on the bandwagon )   . There but for the grace of life go al;l of us .

Stop.them breeding like rabbits for a start try to educate them and life might just might get better for them 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The ragged trousered philanthropists come to mind while reading these threads . compulsory reading for some if you ask me. 

The best book I've ever read Cuttsie.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The ragged trousered philanthropists come to mind while reading these threads . compulsory reading for some if you ask me. 

8 minutes ago, Padders said:

The best book I've ever read Cuttsie.

Could you explain why it’s the best book you’ve ever read Padders?

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

Could you explain why it’s the best book you’ve ever read Padders?

Very true to life in the 1920's.

And very similar things are still happening today.

• Like 1