Kirstie Allsopp reported to social services for allowing son, 15, to travel abroad

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Let me stop you there  

Not 'a' social worker but many over a period of time. 

Who was the common factor in all of your negative interactions with social workers?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, El Cid said:

So social services should believe all parents, or just rich ones?

The situation doesn't require a grilling - there is a presumption that it's ok for a 15 year old and a 16 year old from the UK to travel around Europe. If there wasn't, they'd not be allowed to travel without an adult. So checking some basics is sufficient, regardless of the social and economic background of the parents.

14 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Who was the common factor in all of your negative interactions with social workers?

Nice try but you won't draw me in. I've no intention of getting into it.  Let's just say I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are. 

Some of our contributors seem unaware that it is a requirement of the Social Services to investigate reported involving children.

By its very nature situations involving  social services never satisfies every party, or result in 'happy endings' or protect every individual.     

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Slighty batty said:

When the girl went to Syria she was probably the victim of grooming, and there was definitely a safe guarding issue because she was made into a child bride in a war torn country. Courts have decided that she made her own bed and has to lie on it, fair enough but if she wasn’t deemed to be a vulnerable child when she left for Syria then why such a song and dance when a boy of the same age goes on a rail holiday in Europe. 

I can't see any relevant link between the two 15 year olds.  The 15 year old boy had good intentions and went abroad for the correct reasons with the permission of his mother while the 15 year old girl had bad intentions for going abroad without the permission of her parents. 15 year old boy good.  15 year old girl bad.

Just now, Annie Bynnol said:

Some of our contributors seem unaware that it is a requirement of the Social Services to investigate reported involving children.

By its very nature situations involving  social services never satisfies every party, or result in 'happy endings' or protect every individual.     

It is appalling that the horrifying cases where children *were* reported to Social Services and still ending up dying at the hands of their parents weren’t investigated better.  I understand that sadly not every individual can be protected, but without wanting to get drawn into the specifics of individual cases, there have been cases in the news where terribly vulnerable small children were left with abusive parents to die or suffer horrific injuries.

We are told that Social Services are stretched and have limited resources.  If that is indeed the case, then surely those limited and stretched resources should go where they are most needed, not tick boxing because a malicious busybody has reported the likes of Kirstie Allsopp.

• Like 2

We were working down the pit or in the Steel works or building site at 15 , could get married at 16 , go to war at 18 ,   Travelling around Europe On a train would have been a walk in the park .

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pfifes said:

It is appalling that the horrifying cases where children *were* reported to Social Services and still ending up dying at the hands of their parents weren’t investigated better.  I understand that sadly not every individual can be protected, but without wanting to get drawn into the specifics of individual cases, there have been cases in the news where terribly vulnerable small children were left with abusive parents to die or suffer horrific injuries.

We are told that Social Services are stretched and have limited resources.  If that is indeed the case, then surely those limited and stretched resources should go where they are most needed, not tick boxing because a malicious busybody has reported the likes of Kirstie Allsopp.

Well yes, but it's not possible to get a sense of how serious or not a situation is without making some kind of enquiry.