Kirstie Allsopp reported to social services for allowing son, 15, to travel abroad

Just now, Delbow said:

Well yes, but it's not possible to get a sense of how serious or not a situation is without making some kind of enquiry. 

I don’t think it’s too difficult to work out that the 15 (now 16) year old son of a well known TV presenter going inter railing isn’t even remotely as serious as a small child a history of suspicious injuries being left with drug addict/alcoholic/violent/ neglectful parents.   Very sadly this has happened.

Just now, pfifes said:

I don’t think it’s too difficult to work out that the 15 (now 16) year old son of a well known TV presenter going inter railing isn’t even remotely as serious as a small child a history of suspicious injuries being left with drug addict/alcoholic/violent/ neglectful parents.   Very sadly this has happened.

Sorry, but you're wrong if you think the level of effort in this case is the same as would be made in the second scenario you describe. Do you think that RBKC should have just done nothing? I don't think they needed to do much, but I don't think they could have got away with doing nothing at all.

55 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Sorry, but you're wrong if you think the level of effort in this case is the same as would be made in the second scenario you describe. Do you think that RBKC should have just done nothing? I don't think they needed to do much, but I don't think they could have got away with doing nothing at all.

I don’t think they needed to much either.  But we don’t know exactly what has been done apart from what is reported in the media.  I was just saying I wish more resources were directed to genuinely vulnerable children.

14 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold

I don't doubt that one bit. 

I don't condone it either however my family have been on the receiving end of some truly despicable ss workers. I won't use the words for them I'd really like as it would be rather embarrassing getting a suspension on a forum I have a subscription to 🤣

What happened that was so bad and how many different t social workers were involved ?

36 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I don’t think they needed to much either.  But we don’t know exactly what has been done apart from what is reported in the media.  I was just saying I wish more resources were directed to genuinely vulnerable children.

Yeah, I'm sure most of us can agree with that. There are also some structural problems in society as well - the demand on child protection services has been going up steadily for years now, so something needs to be done to reverse that trend. I don't profess to know exactly what that is, but it's not ok to just allow children's situations to get worse.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

We were working down the pit or in the Steel works or building site at 15 , could get married at 16 , go to war at 18 ,   Travelling around Europe On a train would have been a walk in the park .

Always struck me how poorly travelled young urbanites were(are?) and unaware of European and even local UK geography, those brought up in rural areas areas would travel further, to more destinations and more frequently. Whether shopping, holidays, major hospitals, visiting relatives exiled to the industrial cities, shows, football, interviews, 'collecting' capitals etc. Unlike our urban friends we had very little on our doorsteps, so on becoming teenagers, planning and travelling to the major cities and towns gave us a  very early awareness of independent travel and trust by parents. 

Another factor common to all was listening the wartime exploits of returning servicemen, workmen and women. A neighbour(former Romanian army officer and academic) had us enthralled with his escape from Stalingrad via the middle east.

There was a bigger 'push' amongst all teenagers to see the 'bright' lights and foreign package holidays had not taken off.