I was offered the flu vaccine in my thirties because I’m asthmatic. The first few years I was fine, then for two years running I had terrible side effects so I also don’t have the flu vaccination. Although the flu vaccine has  been around for many years I was under the impression that a different flu vaccine is made each year because the flu virus changes, so how much testing is there on the tweaked virus each year? 

All I can say that there was something in the vaccine that my antibodies didn’t like. Thankfully most people don’t have a bad reaction to the vaccine so I don’t want to put people off having it.

• Like 2

The first 2 years that I had the flu vaccine I felt lousy afterwards, but since then I’ve been fine with it. I take the view that the vaccine is basically the virus with its arms and legs chopped off, so if the vaccine makes you feel ill then the virus itself would make you feel much worse. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slighty batty said:

The first 2 years that I had the flu vaccine I felt lousy afterwards, but since then I’ve been fine with it. I take the view that the vaccine is basically the virus with its arms and legs chopped off, so if the vaccine makes you feel ill then the virus itself would make you feel much worse. 

I think you are probably correct and suspect the same may apply to the COVID vaccine, although it does seem to be more common to have a reaction to this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pfifes said:

Fair enough, we’re all entitled to our own opinion but without getting into Covid 19, do you think the influenza jab is as dangerous as the Covid one?  As it has been around for a long time.

I understand the flu shot has a record of being safe? 

However now it can/does come bundled with a covid shot I wouldn't touch it in a million years. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

However now it can/does come bundled with a covid shot I wouldn't touch it in a million years. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion. 

I’m pretty sure you can still have the flue vaccine without Covid.  The flue jab is pretty safe as far as I know.  They should be kept separate anyway as some folks still think the Covid jab is experimental.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pfifes said:

Most people that have had flue don’t want it again though…

The last time I had the flu was 2012. I remember laying on the settee with a high temperature, hot one minute and cold the next, my thoughts all over the place. I remember thinking that I might die, but it wouldn't matter. I was well out of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

That's worth remembering. I don't mind the flu shots when my doctor nags me as I'm asthmatic (with complications) but I would never again have a covid shot. Not after the last time. Nasty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a weird one @lavery549@yahoo

I used to get flu once in a blue moon, and three or four colds a year, every year.

The weirdness (for which I'm very grateful)  is that the last time I had a cold was in 2017, and the last time I had flu was July 2017. I kid you not. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pfifes said:

Wow, you wouldn’t want that again.  Surely the flue vaccine can’t be worse?

ER no pfifes , there is that . But this particular flu jab  did make me feel really ill . Mum asked at the chemist at her Doctors surgery & they said quite a lot of people were having problems with that particular jab . I must admit though , after having that mother of flu, I tended not to get Flu . But thought I was being good ,by having it because they were pushing it at work . Had both Covid & Flu jab , no problems with Covid jab . A few weeks later ,had Flu one , felt rubbish . Never again 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Draggletail said:

Here's a weird one @lavery549@yahoo

I used to get flu once in a blue moon, and three or four colds a year, every year.

The weirdness (for which I'm very grateful)  is that the last time I had a cold was in 2017, and the last time I had flu was July 2017. I kid you not. 

Now that is interesting Draggle . Maybe your body built up it's own immunity to it 

• Like 1