4 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Yes Astra Zeneca has been discontinued pififes . I had Pfizer each time , as I said apart from first time , I was fine . 

Ah, I thought so, thanks.  To be honest though the worst I felt was after one of Pfizer jabs but I suppose everyone is affected differently.  The last one I had was absolutely fine though.  I believe you can pay to have a Covid vaccine privately as well as the flue vaccine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

What I might think about though , is the Shingles jab , but that's another thread 

Apparently’Some research has shown that there might be an increased risk of Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare disorder in which the immune system attacks the nerves, in adults age 65 and older who receive the shingles vaccine.’

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pfifes said:

Apparently’Some research has shown that there might be an increased risk of Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare disorder in which the immune system attacks the nerves, in adults age 65 and older who receive the shingles vaccine.’

Yea , I am going to have to do some research first 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

I think that is the one that ended up being withdrawn because of the dangerous side effects . One of them being clots . 

It was withdrawn for commercial reasons.  Mainly because it was out of date, comparatively less effective, and because the mRNA platform is far more easily and quickly adaptable to emerging variants. 

There's an excellent summary here.  Here's a snippet:

“There are known adverse events, such as the blood clots, but these are rare, and the safety profile is overall very good. For comparison, the accepted rate of blood clots is much higher in medicines prescribed in areas of women’s health, such as the combined pill.

“The key reason for the withdrawal is likely to be that other covid vaccines, such as Pfizer and Moderna, are essentially better products. AstraZeneca is very good, but the mRNA products (and probably Novavax too) are better.

“They have higher effectiveness and the mRNA platforms are more easily adapted towards the latest covid variants. Thus, they form a key part of most countries’ longer-term strategies.

“With that, orders for the AstraZeneca vaccine are probably much lower now than they were in previous years, so it’s not worth a longer-term investment on the part of the manufacturers.

“Perhaps its time has passed. But, the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine has played a key role in the pandemic response for most countries around the world.”

• Like 2

Just now, Bellatrix said:

It was withdrawn for commercial reasons.  Mainly because it was out of date, comparatively less effective, and because the mRNA platform is far more easily and quickly adaptable to emerging variants. 

There's an excellent summary here.  Here's a snippet:

Well , I worked on a Surgical ward while people were still getting the jab & there were several people had problems , like clots . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Well , I worked on a Surgical ward while people were still getting the jab & there were several people had problems , like clots . 

The article I linked to notes that the vaccine-induced thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) and thrombosis linked to the AZ vaccine was reported in about 1 in 500,000 recipients.  Abnormal clotting is also a consequence of covid infection, and obviously has a variety of other causes unrelated to vaccination.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pfifes said:

There is however also a link between mRNA Covid-19 vaccines and an increased risk of myocarditis and pericarditis.

The British Heart Foundation has a good piece on that, which concludes with:

Research shows that Covid-19 itself is much more likely to cause myocarditis than the vaccine.

People who are vaccinated against Covid-19 also have a much lower risk of getting other serious heart complications caused by the virus, including heart attack and stroke.

The stats are in the link.

We did all this way back when in the main covid thread.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Yea , I am going to have to do some research first 

According to the NHS website most of the side effects are mild.  But good to do your own research too I think.