Major fire in Dagenham

Another one covered in "non compliant cladding".

I know the previous Government did make some promises to owners and tenants in these flats.....I just feel really sorry for anyone who was conned into buying these death traps. The developers and builders who build these properties seem to walk away with a smile on their faces and a fortune in the bank, but it's those who buy them are left high and dry.

I seem to remember when the non compliant cladding stories broke through the media last year there was a young woman who lives in a Sheffield flat whose property is now worthless because it is unsafe. She's an organiser for a group of tenants in the flats trying to get redress via the Government.

• Like 2

I was reading this previously
Fire union chief slams 'disgusting' lack of action ahead of final report into Grenfell Tower tragedy 21 August 2024, 07:39  LBC

Unfortunately this one is behind a Times paywall; does anyone have access?
Builders who use Grenfell cladding give Tories £2.5m Saturday February 13 2021, 12.01am, The Times
Simon, Jamie and David Reuben have given to the Tories and Boris Johnson
Property developers responsible for flats covered in dangerous cladding have donated £2.5 million to the Conservative Party since the Grenfell Tower fire in 2017, analysis has found.

But a question that needs to be asked is when did the cladding become non-compliant? Was it at the time it was built? Post Grenfell? Last week? 

It's all well and good everyone jumping up and down demanding something happens... All well everyone demanding the landlords and owners cough up and change it.... but things don't happen overnight. They certainly don't happen without massive costs and disruption which all cause just as much outrage, upset and conflict as the incidents themselves. 

Let's take the average block of flats, plenty of the people living there will be leaseholders. Are they are perfectly fine to to be hit with a bill of tens of thousands of pounds because the cladding is suddenly deemed no longer compliant compared to standards that were set 20, 30 40 years ago at the time of it being built, approved, signed off by the authorities..... Is that fair? 

Would people willingly accept their mass  eviction notices so the landlords can spend months/years stripping or pulling down to rebuild it again to modern day compliance standards. 

As with all of these things, the knee-jerk emotion always seems to outweigh the practical realities. 

Yes of course buildings should be made safe.  Yes of course standards evolve over time.  but it all takes time and money and it doesn't happen by some magic wand.  Even more so when standards suddenly change.

We don't pull down or gut every older building just because they're non-compliant with previously nonexistent 2024 standards.  I can imagine the outrage now if they did. 

22 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

But a question that needs to be asked is when did the cladding become non-compliant? Was it at the time it was built? Post Grenfell? Last week? 

It's all well and good everyone jumping up and down demanding something happens... All well everyone demanding the landlords and owners cough up and change it.... but things don't happen overnight. They certainly don't happen without massive costs and disruption which all cause just as much outrage, upset and conflict as the incidents themselves. 

We don't pull down or gut every older building just because they're non-compliant with previously nonexistent 2024 standards.  I can imagine the outrage now if they did. 

The United Kingdom cladding crisis, the first known case is 1973, then 1991, 1999, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2016, Grenfell Tower fire of 14 June 2017, 2019, 2021 and 2024 and you think going slow is ok?

But as you say, its not about tearing these buildings down, it's about improving fire safety to acceptable levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenfell_Tower_fire#Similar_disasters