Notting Hill Carnival: Woman in life-threatening condition after three people stabbed

The biggest danger to the public seems to be the risk of crushing through overcrowding, rather than violence as some would wish to portray the carnival.
Fortunately the  police seem to be taking that seriously too.
I'm genuinely curious as to how many violent incidents there are during the carnival, compared to any other London festival, or in any other city of a million or so population.
This guy, that I've mentioned before seems to have a fair perspective.

29 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

This recorded 2 million is just guess work but I understand where you are coming from.

Let's just not discuss the serious incidents then.

👍

We should discuss the serious incidents. There are too many robberies and stabbings at carnival. Do you have any ideas about how to change that?

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to carnival Al, but it’s great fun. And the 99.9% of peaceful carnival goers derseeve a safer environment.

Incidentally, I just detoured that way on my way home. No carnival for me this year, but I did share a train or two with some brilliant people. It’s mostly a great event, with the caveat that it needs to be better policed.

1 minute ago, Prettytom said:

We should discuss the serious incidents. There are too many robberies and stabbings at carnival. Do you have any ideas about how to change that?

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to carnival Al, but it’s great fun. And the 99.9% of peaceful carnival goers derseeve a safer environment.

Incidentally, I just detoured that way on my way home. No carnival for me this year, but I did share a train or two with some brilliant people. It’s mostly a great event, with the caveat that it needs to be better policed.

I used to co own a business on the periphery that had to be ticket only during the carnival,we had to hire extra door staff to combat the thuggery, stealing and antisocial behaviour, it was a nightmare so yes ive had close up experience of it.

How to change things?

I really don't have an answer to be honest, making it a ticket only event or hosting it in a park wouldn't stop the stabbings, assaults on police and emergency workers would it?

7 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

You say "deserve a safer environment"  and "needs to be better policed" 

Unless you are aiming for absolute zero incident and zero crime which is clearly an impossibility - I dont know how much more you expect to be done.   Bad people do Bad things.  There is no such thing as absolute zero risk they will keep doing bad things - we have to be realistic and proportionate.  

As I keep saying.  Look at the ratios of incidents, arrests against numbers of attendees.   Whichever way you spin it, its still averaging less than 0.0xxx......levels of percentage of people being affected.   Its reported that the event already has 7000+ police officers, which as a comparative, is more than double the entire number of officers who serve the whole of South Yorkshire Police - so just how many more do you think would be needed?

Unbelievable all those police for a carnival.  I suppose the tax payer has to pay the astronomical police costs. The Mayor of London needs to look at holding it elsewhere and charging people to watch it so it can go towards policing it. 

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Unbelievable all those police for a carnival.  I suppose the tax payer has to pay the astronomical police costs. The Mayor of London needs to look at holding it elsewhere and charging people to watch it so it can go towards policing it. 

Didn't Ken Livingston suggest moving it to one of the London parks when he was Mayor but obviously nothing came of it.