Have you had an injury at work ?

On 26/08/2024 at 20:15, hackey lad said:

Broke my back falling off a ladder . My own fault . 

I’ve had a couple of falls from ladders hackey.

First time I was building my garage sixteen feet up carrying a breeze block when the ladder slipped.

Down I came and my leg bent the aluminium rung on the ladder. I still have the ladder as a reminder and the scar on my shin.  Off to hospital and an X-ray. No breaks. How I’ll never know.

Second time I didn’t fall as far but dislocated by shoulder. They had to put me under in hospital  to get it back.

Once I fell through the house roof when a tile latt I was stood on gave way and I was stuck. My wife and boys had to push from beneath to get me out. Only my pride was hurt that time.

My nearest escape from prematurely meeting my maker came when I was taking a lorry with my brother in law to Italy to help him move furniture and belongings back to the UK.

He was driving over the Brenner Pass and I was taking photos out the open side window.

Our vehicle and a lorry travelling in the opposite direction came too close and the side mirrors hit each other. The one on our lorry broke off, flew through the window hitting me on the forehead and landed in the footwell at bro in laws feet.

Lorry mirrors are big and heavy. Good job I’ve got a thick skull which also sometimes comes in handy on here!😆

echo..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

I’ve had a couple of falls from ladders hackey.

First time I was building my garage sixteen feet up carrying a breeze block when the ladder slipped.

Down I came and my leg bent the aluminium rung on the ladder. I still have the ladder as a reminder and the scar on my shin.  Off to hospital and an X-ray. No breaks. How I’ll never know.

Second time I didn’t fall as far but dislocated by shoulder. They had to put me under in hospital  to get it back.

Once I fell through the house roof when a tile latt I was stood on gave way and I was stuck. 

echo..

I've only performed the "Falling of a Ladder" trick once.

I was cleaning the gutters, when the ladder slipped, I fell on some newly dug bit of garden between the house steps.

A couple of inches either side, and it could have been half a day out with the undertaker, as Fred would say...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Padders said:

I've only performed the "Falling of a Ladder" trick once.

I was cleaning the gutters, when the ladder slipped, I fell on some newly dug bit of garden between the house steps.

A couple of inches either side, and it could have been half a day out with the undertaker, as Fred would say...

Pretty much the same as me Padders . Doing some high work, needed to get to an awkward bit , had to put the ladders at an unsafe angle but seeing as it would only take a few minutes decided to risk it . Ladder kicked out and I dropped bum first on a concrete drive . 

7 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Pretty much the same as me Padders . Doing some high work, needed to get to an awkward bit , had to put the ladders at an unsafe angle but seeing as it would only take a few minutes decided to risk it . Ladder kicked out and I dropped bum first on a concrete drive . 

What amazed me is the things you think about on your way down, all in a slit second..

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

What amazed me is the things you think about on your way down, all in a slit second..

Seemed like forever and as I knew I was heading for a concrete drive , all I kept saying to myself was protect your head . 

• Like 1